Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ‘65 has the original 19:1 steering box in it. I’ve got Shelby Quick steer arms on it, and it’s ok, but I would like to speed up the steering a little more.

I’m considering going to a factory 16:1 box, but I’m wondering what their availability is like. Are they fairly readily available?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,060 Posts
No.
Everybody wants them, so no.
See Chock, he may be able to fix you up.
The hard parts (worm & block) are about an act of congress to obtain in good condition,
particularly since we're talking about 50 year old stuff here.
Internally, those are the items that make the ratio quicker.
Try to find P/S boxes..... if the car it was originally on had a decently
operating system, the internal wear in the box is usually a fraction of what
you would see in a box that lived its life solely as a manual 16:1 unit.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: green1965

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
They're not impossible to find. I have 3 in cars and one spare to rebuild, I see them on ebay from time to time. You can source them from 1964 through early1967 cars, and you can use the later 67 through 68 box with the correct pitman arm, hardware, and the short shaft column swap isn't a bad thing to do in a 64-66. Flaming River made a 16:1 box but I've heard they don't hold up well.

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
I’ve raced mine since 2005 with zero problems.

Mark
That's great ! Can't believe anything ya hear and only half whatchya see ! I would have tried one if I couldn't find the good originals.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I’ve raced mine since 2005 with zero problems.

Mark
How many miles have you put on it? Just curious on long term durability on all options. I too am looking to do some steering box "upgrades" soon. I haven't heard anything bad about FR units(though granted I haven't researched them much) but I am always interested in personal experiences with a given aftermarket part.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
How many miles have you put on it? Just curious on long term durability on all options. I too am looking to do some steering box "upgrades" soon. I haven't heard anything bad about FR units(though granted I haven't researched them much) but I am always interested in personal experiences with a given aftermarket part.

No idea. North of 5,000, but probably less than 10k. There’s some street miles in there, but most are hard miles.

Mark

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have one that came from a power steering car that I'm no longer using. I switched to a Borgeson box. I am out of state for the next 10 days but PM me if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
No.
Everybody wants them, so no.
See Chock, he may be able to fix you up.
The hard parts (worm & block) are about an act of congress to obtain in good condition,
particularly since we're talking about 50 year old stuff here.
Internally, those are the items that make the ratio quicker.
Try to find P/S boxes..... if the car it was originally on had a decently
operating system, the internal wear in the box is usually a fraction of what
you would see in a box that lived its life solely as a manual 16:1 unit.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Example, We left Illinois last Wednesday. The journey to a New Jersey dealer then to Virginia, another contact, has resulted in ONE long shaft 16 to one, ONE short shaft 16 to 1. Both can be built.. Not easy to get. 2500 miles at 10 miles per gallon to get back this Wednesday.
Yes, we will try and help all to achieve the goal of acquiring a GOOD box, Ford box.
Will not participate, be involved with the Argentina boxes.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Example, We left Illinois last Wednesday. The journey to a New Jersey dealer then to Virginia, another contact, has resulted in ONE long shaft 16 to one, ONE short shaft 16 to 1. Both can be built.. Not easy to get. 2500 miles at 10 miles per gallon to get back this Wednesday.
Yes, we will try and help all to achieve the goal of acquiring a GOOD box, Ford box.
Will not participate, be involved with the Argentina boxes.
Chock, you'll also be getting one back from me later in the week as well. I swapped in the '67 long shaft 19:1 you sent me last weekend and I emailed you about sending the core back. Should be on its way tomorrow :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can source them from 1964 through early1967 cars, and you can use the later 67 through 68 box with the correct pitman arm, hardware, and the short shaft column swap isn't a bad thing to do in a 64-66.
I didn’t realize this was an option. Which column would you use, if putting a short shaft box in a ‘65?

Would the column connect to the box with a rag joint, or U-joint?

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
IF I COULD AFFORD it, a tilt column from a 68 Mustang or Cougar would get me in the saddle or would be the cat's meow (you see what I did, there?) But the 67 or 68 fixed column will work. The 68 has compression dimples for a little more collision safety. The short shaft cars had a rag joint but some prefer to convert to a u-joint or Heim joint type custom setup. The company "ididit" and some others have custom columns as well, Flaming River may have been one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts