Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

On my ‘65GTFB there is gouging where the brake tab rests on the caliber. The gouging looks fresh, what caused this and how can I fix it? I tried a little filing, but the gauging is deep. Unfortunately the brake pad tab does get stuck at the gauging.
thank you!

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
The non-technical answer is that "stuff" is moving around that shouldn't. The backing plates (known as steels) are either not fine blank
steel accurate as far as size OR the caliper dimension where the steel plates ride isn't quite factory.
The type of rotor you have tends to exacerbate disc pad movement as well, making those critical dimensions where the pads ride even
more important.

Reactions: CHOCK

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Yes movement is the issue. Anti rattle clips not holding pads secure, and rotor choice. Stock non slotted will have less drag, less movement.

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
You've got a couple things going on there. First, your anti-rattle clips aren't keeping the pads from moving up and down. This is/has damaged the sliding surface on the caliper itself. Unfortunately, I don't think the "bean counters" ever considered placing a stainless shim between the pad and caliper wear surface to take the brunt of wear away from the caliper itself. It is THEORETICALLY possible to machine/file the surface flat and enough to fabricate shims but my feeling is it would be easier (and cheaper) to find good reman or new callipers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts