Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, bear with me here, new to the forum.
Anyway, I have a ‘66 that was having problems starting, I bought a new ignition switch assembly.
I just went to replace it, and I put the key to accessory, put the paper clip in, turned it counter clockwise, yet the ignition switch cylinder won’t come out.
I investigated behind the dash, and I realized that the switch assembly that’s currently installed completely failed, a black plastic disc and a copper colored metal piece fell out, and the part with the spring is separated from the part that’s attached to the wires. The spring part is still in the dash, but I don’t think I can remove it without removing the ignition switch cylinder first. I’m kind of stumped right now, anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
When you turn the key counter clockwise, it goes completely horizontal, and will slide out.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Be sure your battery is disconnected. Might have to grab the back of the switch assembly and push toward the dash/rear of the car a little to take some of the tension off it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you turn the key counter clockwise, it goes completely horizontal, and will slide out.
It goes horizontal, and it moves towards me a little bit, but it seems to be catching on something, I’m assuming the ignition switch is out of place and preventing it from coming out all the way

Be sure your battery is disconnected. Might have to grab the back of the switch assembly and push toward the dash/rear of the car a little to take some of the tension off it.
I’ll give that a try, it’s kind of hard to maneuver around, I’ll see if I can recruit the girlfriend to lend me an extra hand or two

·
Registered
875 Posts
When it comes out part way, you may have to use a small screwdriver to pry it out further. There's often a bit of crud built up inside the switch assy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I used a screw driver and got the ignition switch cylinder out, and was then able to replace the ignition switch with a new one.

unfortunately, it seems the switch cylinder was having problems coming out because part of it was stuck on the bezel. When it finally came out, the tumblers and springs fell out because the cover that held them in place got bent, so I’ll have to replace that as well.

pictures attached showing how the ignition switch assembly fell apart when I first went to remove it, and how the ignition cylinder broke upon removal as well.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If you put all the pins in the new cylinder, you could keep the original keys that match the doors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you put all the pins in the new cylinder, you could keep the original keys that match the doors.
well I kept all the pins, I’m not sure if I’d be able to get them back into the same order they were in though, they all just kind of fell out, I think there’s about 10 of them.

·
Registered
35,330 Posts
well I kept all the pins, I’m not sure if I’d be able to get them back into the same order they were in though, they all just kind of fell out, I think there’s about 10 of them.
Well, if you leave them all out, ANY key will work in the ignition and only you will know.. LOL.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Should be two for each hole. five the same length, and up to 5 different lengths. If you disassemble the new one, you'll see how they work ... or take it to a locksmith and they'll have it done in less than 5 minutes

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Should be two for each hole. five the same length, and up to 5 different lengths. If you disassemble the new one, you'll see how they work ... or take it to a locksmith and they'll have it done in less than 5 minutes
that’s a solid idea, I wasn’t looking forward to having to get the doors re-keyed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts