Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new to this forum (1st forum ever, honestly). I present with an issue that I couldn’t seem to get an answer to by googling.
Sorry this is going to be long but just trying to give background.
My mother in law gave me her old 66 mustang (200 L6 w/ automatic c4 transmission). She hadn’t driven it since the 1980s and her father had it until he passed away in the mid 90s. He had done some work on it (mainly changed the paint and new leather and etc).
It had been sitting in a garage since early 2000s without being driven. So when she offered it to me of course I accepted! Now I am in the process of rebuilding it to drive as a weekend car (am not racing it or anything like that, just cruising). I had the engine and transmission pulled out (engine is currently in a machine shop getting rebuilt, bored out a bit to increase horse power) and have ordered a lot of new parts (ie fuel tank, radiator, compressor, header, exhaust and other more smaller pieces that augment those).
Now to the meat of my issue. So in the process of ordering torque converter and flex plate. I am finding that whenever I put the vehicle details to filter products I am only getting a flex plate with no teeth as an option to purchase but when I look at the torque converter that came out of the car it has a flexplate with teeth on it but no design (hole pattern) similar to what is available online)
The question is would anyone here know what flexplate w/teeth to order to go with an inline 6 and automatic c4 transmission?
I am attaching the picture of the torque converter/flexplate that came out of the car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,948 Posts
The part in your pics is the torque converter and it has the ring gear on it, so you would want a flex plate with out a ring gear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The part in your pics is the torque converter and it has the ring gear on it, so you would want a flex plate with out a ring gear.
Hello Scott,

Thank you for the reply. Guess I thought the "ring gear" is the attached flex plate. I took a picture of the Torque converter as it came from the car. I purchased a new torque converter and none of them seem to come with a "ring gear" that is why I assumed it was a separate item (flex plate).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Scott,

Thank you for the reply. Guess I thought the "ring gear" is the attached flex plate. I took a picture of the Torque converter as it came from the car. I purchased a new torque converter and none of them seem to come with a "ring gear" that is why I assumed it was a separate item (flex plate).
I'm not an inline 6 guy. Id recommend asking this over at FordSix Performance Forum
Oh ok, thank you.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I have a 67 vert 200/c4 and when I pulled the trans to fix a bad seal I wanted to replace the torque converter with the ring gear on it because of some bad teeth.

I never so much as found a torque converter any where. So if its not broke you might have to put it back in like I did.

The flex plate on the crank you can get at o'rileys

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 67 vert 200/c4 and when I pulled the trans to fix a bad seal I wanted to replace the torque converter with the ring gear on it because of some bad teeth.

I never so much as found a torque converter any where. So if its not broke you might have to put it back in like I did.

The flex plate on the crank you can get at o'rileys
Thanks, Wayne!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The stock configuration for a 200 inline 6 would be for the torque converter to have the ring gear attached to it and no teeth/ring gear on the flexplate. The pictures you posted of the torque converter you removed from the car show that it has the ring gear attached to it so for a "stock" installation a flexplate without a ring gear would be the correct part.

What you are showing in your pictures and saying about having a flexplate with teeth doesn't make sense unless there are some other "custom" modifications done. Can you post a picture of the flexplate removed from the car? If it indeed has teeth then I would also post pictures of your bell housing, starter and any shims between the starter and bell housing.

The torque converter you show in the pictures would work with this flexplate (no teeth) for a stock configuration.

Flex Plate 1965-1970 MUSTANG 170, 200, C4 A/T

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I did a quick torque converter look up and noticed that there is a torque converter for some 170 inline 6 that does not have a ring gear. Maybe you don't have a 200 inline 6 in the car as you stated? These folks will have the correct torque convert if you do indeed have a 66 200. You'll probably have to use one of their distributors and send back your core. I got lucky and their distributor closest to me is about 15 minutes away.

Precision OEM Torque Converters

It's not uncommon to mix and match parts in these cars over the years. Time to put your detective hat on and figure out for sure what you have in the car. Here's some light reading to start.

Ford Straight Six Engine

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Check on the drivers side of the engine( US not down under) and see if the engine id plate is still on the eng mine was and on my Ranchero also

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Your torque converter has a ring gear with teeth on it. If you purchased another torque converter with no ring gear on it, then you probably have an incorrect torque converter, probably for a V8. Your flex plate is the little flimsy metal piece bolted to torque converter and crank. It does not have teeth/ ring gear. Ring gear is on torque converter. I6 torque converters are getting harder to find. You can send it to have it rebuilt, but you have to find the right people to do that. Was there any issue with trans? I’m not sure if this will help, but these guys usually can get what I need for any trans....but located in San Antonio Tx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The stock configuration for a 200 inline 6 would be for the torque converter to have the ring gear attached to it and no teeth/ring gear on the flexplate. The pictures you posted of the torque converter you removed from the car show that it has the ring gear attached to it so for a "stock" installation a flexplate without a ring gear would be the correct part.

What you are showing in your pictures and saying about having a flexplate with teeth doesn't make sense unless there are some other "custom" modifications done. Can you post a picture of the flexplate removed from the car? If it indeed has teeth then I would also post pictures of your bell housing, starter and any shims between the starter and bell housing.

The torque converter you show in the pictures would work with this flexplate (no teeth) for a stock configuration.

Flex Plate 1965-1970 MUSTANG 170, 200, C4 A/T
This makes sense. I was confused by what was available when I was searching for it so I thought my wife's grandfather had rigged it or something but seems to be that he kept the stock converter and it was never changed. I will get more pics later today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did a quick torque converter look up and noticed that there is a torque converter for some 170 inline 6 that does not have a ring gear. Maybe you don't have a 200 inline 6 in the car as you stated? These folks will have the correct torque convert if you do indeed have a 66 200. You'll probably have to use one of their distributors and send back your core. I got lucky and their distributor closest to me is about 15 minutes away.

Precision

Precision OEM Torque Converters

It's not uncommon to mix and match parts in these cars over the years. Time to put your detective hat on and figure out for sure what you have in the car. Here's some light reading to start.

Ford Straight Six Engine
OEM Torque Converters

Ford Straight Six Engine
Thanks for the Precision link. That is very helpful. Looks like they have one distributor in Atlanta.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your torque converter has a ring gear with teeth on it. If you purchased another torque converter with no ring gear on it, then you probably have an incorrect torque converter, probably for a V8. Your flex plate is the little flimsy metal piece bolted to torque converter and crank. It does not have teeth/ ring gear. Ring gear is on torque converter. I6 torque converters are getting harder to find. You can send it to have it rebuilt, but you have to find the right people to do that. Was there any issue with trans? I’m not sure if this will help, but these guys usually can get what I need for any trans....but located in San Antonio Tx

Thanks for this. Definitely clarified everything for me. There doesn't seem to be any issues with the Trans I was just trying to be proactive.
Its very unfortunate that they've forgotten about I6 owners lol, but it makes sense since everyone puts V8s in their mustangs.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Run the torque converter you have if there were no issues...if it had good clean fluid, without metal shavings, black sludge, or smelling burnt, it’s probably fine. If doing a full rebuild of trans, then consider a fresh TC. If your just getting it going after sitting, the trans should work as long as it’s not puking fluid from dried out seals. I’ve fired many motors and transmissions after a long nap, and they have been fine. I try to drive them to diagnose before blowing them apart....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Run the torque converter you have if there were no issues...if it had good clean fluid, without metal shavings, black sludge, or smelling burnt, it’s probably fine. If doing a full rebuild of trans, then consider a fresh TC. If your just getting it going after sitting, the trans should work as long as it’s not puking fluid from dried out seals. I’ve fired many motors and transmissions after a long nap, and they have been fine. I try to drive them to diagnose before blowing them apart....
Ok, will definitely try that. Thank you, Coup!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.