Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. So I was planning to weld up the antenna hole for a clean looking fender, but now I’m having second thoughts because I do like to use my radio for actual FM music... but then my body worked uncharacteristically fast and welded up the hole before I got a chance to tell them not to. Now I’m wondering two things:

1. Are there good “hidden” antenna that mount under the headliner or on the windshield that will actually get reception?

2. Is it a bad idea to Re-drill the hole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
I've tried two different styles of hidden antennas over the years, one recently, and I can tell you that despite any "good consumer reviews" reception on both was weak as puppy pee.

I don't see a problem re-drilling the hole as long as you're careful going about it, but I would go trunk mount power myself.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried two different styles of hidden antennas over the years, one recently, and I can tell you that despite any "good consumer reviews" reception on both was weak as puppy pee.

I don't see a problem re-drilling the hole as long as you're careful going about it, but I would go trunk mount power myself.
Interesting, why trunk mount?

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Interesting, why trunk mount?

Partly personal preference, I like power antennas and I think in general antennas just look better on the back of these cars. Super easy access if you ever have to service or replace it too. I mounted mine on the passenger side so the spare tire blocks anything placed in the trunk that could knock it silly or cause damage to it.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I used one meant for a boat for a while, it was about 3" of rubber coated wire on the end of the cable. My ant was broken and was not ready to replace it.
A lot depends on closeness to transmitter but trying to hide it under the dash was spotty at best, none at all for AM. Putting it under the dash speaker grill was next and got a few local redneck stations.:poop: If I pulled it out and layed it on the dash or hung from the visor or mirror or even just layed it in the open it worked ok enough for most FM. I think the lesson is that it needs to be outside of the metal box but few places to hide it then. If you had any fiberglass panels it could work behind them. A guess would be to lay it inconspicuously on the package tray where it could receive through the back window.

I'd just redrill the hole, it belongs there and isn't out of place. Use a manual one that you can rake back and only extend it to the roof line.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The original antenna location is part of the original look of the car and it would look more out of place not to have one, unless the car is otherwise heavily modified. Maybe try a power antenna that retracts all the way into the fender, or use a magnet mount antenna for occasional use if you don't want to drill the original location. I have a magnetic Sirius XM antenna on my front dash speaker grille. The mast antenna mounted on the rear of a Mustang reminds me too much of a Camaro.

·
Dimples
3,511 Posts
When I shaved my antenna, I actually mounted the old antenna inside the fender, forward of the door edge, and it worked quite well. I eventually abandoned radio all together (because bluetooth + Spotify is WAY better), but the antenna is still buried in there.

I personally love the car with no visible antenna. No way I would re-drill that thing for one. Just go with it.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
The mast antenna mounted on the rear of a Mustang reminds me too much of a Camaro.
Hmm. This isn't it, but I have a pic in a book of Carroll Shelby's personal 1968 GT350 and it had the same rear mount antenna raked and perpendicular to the fastback roof line as this one. I saw it and said: "Oh yeah, I'm doing that". I just wanted mine on the passenger side instead.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Mine was done by the previous owner, but I like it. I garage the car, but on occasion, I have to cover it and am glad that I don't have to deal with the antenna mast. I've also heard that the rear location reduces electrical "noise". I can't prove or disprove that claim, but I have no issues in my '66.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the pictures everyone, rear mount looks better than I expected. Although I have a coupe and wonder if it would still look good

·
Hi, how ya doin?
1,839 Posts
On my 69 Coupe I am going to weld up the antenna hole in the front fender & put a power antenna in the r/s rear quarter panel. Even though I mostly will be listening to my MP-3 player I still like to listen to FM radio sometimes. Here is the power antenna I will be using.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I would never drill into my car for an antenna. It looks so much cleaner without it. My dad has been working on car stereos for 40 years and he will shoot you straight. His number is 309-676-8741 and you can check out my signature for a link to his website.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
That was the one I tried before going to the power antenna. I found it lousy and a waste of money.
If I was OP, the $30 would be worth a try before I go drilling into my beautiful vintage Mustang. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
If I was OP, the $30 would be worth a try before I go drilling into my beautiful vintage Mustang.
I know, you would think, right? That's exactly what I was thinking when I bought it. Only no matter where I positioned the thing, high, low, hidden, in plain sight, I couldn't get even half the usual radio stations I could easily pull in with the base factory radio in my crummy little 2002 Chevy Prizm. Even the stations I could get would fade in and out annoyingly often.

·
Administrator
19,433 Posts
I put an electric antenna from an older Town Car in the right rear quarter of my '67 coupe and like it just fine. I actually like the really late model center rear roof "bee stinger" look better but I couldn't quite bring myself to drill a hole in the roof.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I put an electric antenna from an older Town Car in the right rear quarter of my '67 coupe and like it just fine. I actually like the really late model center rear roof "bee stinger" look better but I couldn't quite bring myself to drill a hole in the roof.
Have you ever seen one of these on a gen 1 mustang?!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts