Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4wd. Front brakes grinding sound when applied always when backing up, on and off on light braking going forward. Pads looked great, but I replaced them anyway. Everything else looks fine, but still same thing. What am I missing? Many thanks -

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Are the rotors smooth on both sides and within spec? Are you sure it is the brakes and not a wheel bearing? The Sport Tracs and Explorers are notorious for bearing failures. Is it possibly the 4x4 actuator engaging partially and unnecessarily? Just throwing darts...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Throwing darts.....I know. Thank you for getting me started on things to try to check. 155K, I have record from PO that front hubs were replaced at 70K.

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
Brake pad "chatter"? Maybe one of those several chatter cures sold at the auto parts stores will stop it.

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
4wd. Front brakes grinding sound when applied always when backing up, on and off on light braking going forward. Pads looked great, but I replaced them anyway. Everything else looks fine, but still same thing. What am I missing? Many thanks -
Both front and rear pads on the 2002 Explorer Sport Trac were originally OE ceramic (Akebono sourced).
They shouldn't be making ANY noise, if that's what's on there. If something else is installed, your results may be different.

On the wheel hub side, there are no less than 3 different SKU's possible on the front (with 4WD).
I didn't research it any further and can't tell what the velocity of sales are for those..... which can somewhat indicate issues
with the design. The fact that they are cataloged the way they are could indicate that some running changes were made to the hub design.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts