Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Road and Track yesterday, and it had a feature on future cars. One was obviously the '05 (or perhaps an '04 1/2 - wink, wink) Mustang.

Is it just me, or does everything we've seen so far seem... not quite there? The best site out there for a composite of everything is this:
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/concept/s197/index.html

Everything on that site just looks like Ford's designers spent a bunch of time on a few sections of the car, and then just 'drew something' for other sections. The latest picture looks like someone just pasted together looks from the 68, 69, and the new Bullitt in order to get 'the look.' It all sorta reminds me of those "What if they mated?" morphing pictures.

If someone at Ford would just go nuts and give the Mustang a solid, bold, comprehensive look, I may wait for it. Right now, I don't think so.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Hey Tom,

When the latest body style same out back in '99 I really didn't care for it too much. It grew on me tho, making me purchase a '00 Gt 'Vert.

I guess time will tell. The drawings to me always seem a little off from what the hard copy comes out like!

Mike

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I wouldn't get too upset just yet. I don't think it will look anything like those drawings... Don't ask me how I know, if I told you I'd have to kill ya! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I REALLY should have mentioned that I truly do like some of the basic design elements we've seen so far (the front.) I'm just hoping (publicly) that the whole car will be far better than the parts we've seen so far.

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
I have not heard anything on that Road and Track sketch, but I would be it's the closest we've seen. That Web site you linked to has the 'leaked' interior photos. The roofline in those pictures hints that the R&T sketch is pretty close, at least for the roofline...

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The roofline is the main reason I started this thread. I didn't think a roofline that looks like an '01 Bullitt (or '03 Mach 1) matches with a front end, hood and belt line that is a retro reference to a late '60's Mustang.

On the other hand..... my brother in law asked my opinion on the new BMW Z4 this weekend. I've spent a few days researching it, and I'm starting to really like that... so I could come around to this at some point.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
i remember reading a 1994 issue of m&f, they had the "new 1995 mustang" and it looked NOTHING like the curent sn95 design. it was totaly radical looking creation, so who knows what the actual production mustang is going to look like. i guess we'll just have to wait /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

- Jason

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Looks a little like the Audi TT to me.....
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/concept/s197/RoadandTrackYellowSketch.jpg
Smells a little like
http://a5.cpimg.com/image/B9/48/12041145-e459-00AD00C8-.jpg
Think I'll keep my

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
there is no question that the current "boss", ie Bill Ford, has a lot of nostalgic links to the past. I mean, look at the current Mustang commercial that has been plastered all over the networks. I get the feeling that he will have the "final word" on what the next generation Mustang will look like and there is no doubt that the new body will have that "60s flavor" while satisfying EPA and bean counters requirements. For myself, I am STILL holding out for the Boss 302 with a legit 5.0 motor, mod motor or not, between the shock towers....

randy

·
Registered
612 Posts
I hate the Audi TT clone, but love the blue pic from Auto Mag.... Of course, it will be like none of the renderings, if history repeats...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Also, on Brad's site, some nice pics and info on the new mach 1 - better, but Ford design still doesnt get it right. Those magnum 500 copies are pretty ugly, and that wimpy black stripe on the hood dont cut it - if your going to semi-gloss black the hood, semi-gloss the WHOLE hood dammit!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I was at the local Ford dealer last Friday and they showed me a pic of what they feel is the closest one, the blue one with the scoops at the front of the hood. Needs a bit more roof height.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Yeah, I posted this picture before and it's in this article. This is my favorite picture so far.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/concept/s197/mtconceptmustang.jpg

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Bishir!

Wow that orange mustang looks a lot better. More true to the original 65-66. The front grill can't tell from that angle but it looks a bit off. Would prefer more original looking wheels like styled steel or my favorite which is the 66 hub caps that were standard. I could actually buy a new car if it looked close enough to the original.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts