Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the letter from Ford. The 04's will only be built from August 03 until Feb 04, then the plant will be shut down for conversion. The 2005 models will start being built in September 04. But here is the kicker, only coupes will be built for the first 9-12 months, then the verts..I wonder if the verts will be called 05's, 05 1/2, or 06's??? ::
blkstlln

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Wow, SEVEN months to retool. And a fairly late introduction for the '05. It's going to be tough to get one before Jan '05, I'd guess.

If the earliest we'd see a 'vert is July, if not later, I guess they'd call it an '06. It seems that next year's models usually appear around late July these days. We'll need to talk, Scott. ::

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
If that's true, then Ford is missing a great marketing opportunity in bringing out a '2004 1/2 Mustang'... It would be a great 40th anniversary play-up and the overall nostalgia payoff seems too good to pass up...

I'll be extremely disappointed in them if they aren't available for sale in April 2004...

-bob

·
Registered
10,139 Posts
It is not just a retool but a move in production. Mustang production is going to the Mazda Flat Rock, MI plant. Dearborn Assembly will be torn down and the new Heritage Assembly will start next spring on the same acreage at the Rouge.

·
Registered
586 Posts
did they ever come out with pictures of "05" , or did i miss them .. its hard to believe
its under that tight of a wrap . i did see concept ( 2 seater ) ....

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Im going to an all mustang show in Columbus (Ohio) tomorrow (Sunday), Hosted by a large Ford dealer, and put on by the Mustang Clubs of Ohio.I recievd an e-mail a couple weeks ago that they have Ford Motor Co. bringing down both proto-types (coupe and vert) to be on display and to answer questions.You can bet that Im gonna ask this question about when they will be available..I have swmbo talked into holding off on a new car till the '05's come out :: ;)
If I can get any answers, Ill post it tomorrow nite.

Joe

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, I was stunned when I received the notice today. Rather ironic you should say that, as also in the letter, they think the hype and mystic of the t bird launch was a resounding success, which it was for a VERY short period of time, but to work with the Mustang..I think they are very wrong.
blkstlln

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
That would be mighty fine, but really I'm more of a deep blue or possibly even green sort of guy. I'll leave the cops after Brian (hopefully he'll be on the road by '06!) ::

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
But.... the 64 1/2 designation came years later after the Mustang restoration hobby took off. Since the first Mustangs were designated by Ford to be 1965s, shouldn't the new Mustang be an '05, for sale in April 04, in order to celebrate the 40th anniversary?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts