Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These seats fit great!

And they feel great -- in my winter-garaged '66. Gotta wait 'til Spring to get on-the-road seat time.

Straightforward install: 07 Mustang seats into a 65 Mustang!! - MustangForums.com

With the 3/4-inch spacers described in the above link, I gained an inch of steering-wheel clearance compared with the stock seats (6.5" vs 5.5").

Maybe the spacers aren't necessary if the lower plastic moulding is removed. I didn't try this... IMO it'd look unfinished & unprotected. But I'm only 5'10" -- taller guys might want the little extra headroom.

Tip: For added firmness, put a jute pad under the driver's seat bottom foam (see pic). I like this. But you don't sink into the seat as much, so there's less headroom compared to a softer seat.

Tip: I used grade 8 bolts & flange nuts and thick-wall spacers. 1-1/2 inch bolt with the 3/4 inch spacer. I wouldn't use less than 5/16" bolt diameter... 3/8" (or more?) for peace-of-mind, just make sure it doesn't interfere with the track sliders.

I got all the nuts & bolts & spacers at my local Ace Hardware.

Tip: To remove the '07 seat tracks, get a 15mm ratcheting wrench. Part # 79-215 at Autozone has nicely angled heads, works perfect. Or for a little more money get a set at Harbor Freight.

Unexpected problem: It took months to find a nice set of tan cloth seats from a late-model base Mustang.

Old seats:
seat clearance 002.jpg

New seats:
seats installed 020.jpg seats installed 019.jpg

New vs Old:
seats 019.jpg seats installed 005.jpg seat clearance 003.jpg seats installed 001.jpg seats installed 002.jpg seats installed 003.jpg

Jute pad:
seats 012.jpg

·
Registered
921 Posts
Nice work Junkie! Those fit really well.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Id like to try this. How much closer to the wheel are you? My thighs are already pretty close in my 70 non-tilt

·
VMF Ambassador
6,836 Posts
Looks great! And here I was under the impression that later model seats would be too tall... shows me :) I've got Fox seats in mine and I love them. Mustang seats of all years seem to be really comfortable!

·
Administrator
13,019 Posts
Putting in my '93's was one of the best things I've done to my FB.
Stan

·
Registered
429 Posts
Looks great! And here I was under the impression that later model seats would be too tall... shows me :) I've got Fox seats in mine and I love them. Mustang seats of all years seem to be really comfortable!
I don't know if mine are stock but they are certainly not comfortable!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
You guys think I could talk my wife into swapping my broken down original '66 seats for her new Recaros in the '13?

Me neither.

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
To be perfectly honest my thoughts were yeah, OK. But wow, they look great! They don't look out of place at all. Visually they look like they were made for early Mustangs. Last summer I was in the by looking at ideas for seats. Now I know what I want!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Id like to try this. How much closer to the wheel are you? My thighs are already pretty close in my 70 non-tilt
Not closer at all. In my '66, I definitely gained an extra inch of thigh clearance with '07 seats.

I'd expect you'd get the same in your '70. But I don't have experience with '70 seats, so can't say for sure.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all for the comments & compliments.

Everyone, notice my new seats are no-frills from a base '07 Mustang.

No airbags, no power adjusters, no power switches. Nothing that might make the seat bigger or complicate the install.

FYI, I believe side airbags became standard with '08 Mustang seats. Which is why I didn't look at any seats newer than '07.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I just found a pair of 98 Mustang GT seats for $20, should work well in the 66. Thanks for sharing your results!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
No one asked about weight? :shrug:

'66 seats: 33 lbs

'07 seats: 31 lbs

The '07 seats are definitely not heavier -- unless you somehow use the '07 original seat track assembly.

For my '07 seats, I got these repro '66 seat tracks: Mustang Seat Track Assembly 1965-1968 | CJ Pony Parts

As one reviewer noted, the metal looks thinner compared with original tracks. But it still feels plenty sturdy. Maybe, the new metal is a stronger alloy? Probably doesn't matter because I'd guess the tracks are sturdier than the floor pan they're bolted to.

I also got a new set of track-to-body nuts: F-1192 Mustang AMK Products Seat Track To Body Nut Set 1965-1970 | CJ Pony Parts

The new nuts were easier to finger-tighten -- a plus for me, working by feel thru the small hole in the floorpan. Probably would've been easier if I'd put the car up on jackstands.

I also got new track plates: Mustang Seat Track Plate Set 1965-1973 | CJ Pony Parts

1 - 20 of 55 Posts