Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, last weekend, I took the plunge and cut the cowl cover off the passenger side. It was better than I thought as far as the rust goes. I gave it a good wire brushing with the drill, several coats of rust inhibiter, and then filled the pin holes with fiberblass filler. Sanded that and gave 2 good coats of brush on primer, and a nice finish coat of black rustoleum. Then I welded the cover back on. The welds look pretty good, even better after a little grinding and filler. I was able to get 3/4 of the area under the vent with everything, so I think I will do the other side this weekend. My seals for the manual shaft came in Friday, so that is next. I bought a set of rocker mouldings for 42.00 on ebay, and the floor pans sit waiting in the garage. She'll be dancing before I know it!!!!!!!!!!
Dan

every man must have a toy
98 Dodge Ram (mobile tool box)
97 Grand Cherokee (family hauler)
66 Coupe 289/c-4 (The Other Woman)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
excellent! BTW how did you remove the cowl cover? air chisel? or did ya drill out the spot welds?

66 Coupe, Sauterne Gold (aka goose sh** green) rust bucket
order parts...wait....parts arrive....wait....look at parts...wait....scratch crotch...wait....look at rust bucket...sigh...scratch again

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[color:blue]did you have to take out the windshield? my cowl area leaks really bad, but i just got a new windshield put in (rock cracked the old one) about 3 weeks ago and i dont want to have to get it reinstalled...

do you think i can take the cover off w/o removing the window?

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[color:blue]Todd Dietrich
restomod junkie, 19 year old kid who has too many ideas and not enough money to finish any of them..
ObsidianSpider on AOL IM
http://home.att.net/~obsidianspider/5lugwormviewsmall.jpg</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did my top cuts with a jigsaw and a metal blade. The side that is covered by the qtr panel I used a grinder with a thin cutting wheel from Home Depot. On the top I detoured around the contour at the edge, and it closed up pretty good usng a MIG welder.
Dan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I left the windsheild in place and went about 2 inches out from it for my cut. I did pull the trim and clean around it though. I need a new windsheild, but am not ready for that yet, and this was a spur of the moment decision after many months of trying to decide how to do it. It is not 'proper', but I like it.
Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts