Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I posted yesterday and not many people responded, I'm having problems with the UCA's rubbing on the inside of my rims on my new suspension/disc brake work on the front of the car. I tried grinding off some of the UCA where it was rubbing (when turning wheel), and I still think I need some room.

I think that a 3/8 or 1/4 inch wheel spacer would push the wheel out far enough that it won't be a problem anymore.

I found a set from Maximum Motorsports, which seem to build all sorts of mustang stuff. They are made out of billet aluminum.

I've seen other posts here that say that spacers are a problem, but anything 1/4 or less would probably be "OK".

I'm not going to be doing any racing or anything like that, just normal street driving.

Does anyone envision running 1/4 spacers to be a problem???
Otherwise I have no clue what to do to fix this. And buying new wheels with a different backspacing is NOT an option at this point!

::
Andy

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Well the problem is that the Edelbrock wheels are not available in the correct back spacing for our cars. However you can run the regular Pep Boys spacers for anything 1/4" or less and should be no trouble.

The MM spacers may not have the correct size center hub for your setup.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Wow. I've got the same problem. Edel 454s with 4.5 Back Spacing. I have Global west UCAs. They're cut back pretty steeply so it's not quite as bad as stock would be.
After some pondering, I may have a quick fix.
Look at the bump stop set-up. The upright at the end of the strut rod. It measures about 3/4" in dia. That's the size of the inside of 1" black pipe.
Cut a piece of 1" black pipe about 1 1/2" long and weld a small piece of steel along it. That's your stop extender.
Pound the sucker down over the upright part of the strut.

I'm going to stop at the hardware store tonight to see if a black pipe coupler would work better. you won't be able to turn as sharp bt that's better than ruining your tires and fenders because of spacers
Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts