Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the hardware that comes with repro stainless trim work with NOS stainless? I can find NOS trim (quarter panel extenstions and trunk), but am having a heck of a time locating NOS hardware (clips).
I HATE using repro stuff but I may have to. Anyone know if this would work?
 

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
Joined
·
24,597 Posts
Angela said:
Will the hardware that comes with repro stainless trim work with NOS stainless? I can find NOS trim (quarter panel extenstions and trunk), but am having a heck of a time locating NOS hardware (clips).
I HATE using repro stuff but I may have to. Anyone know if this would work?

What year? I'm mainly familiar with the 67/68 anodized aluminum trim. I bought a set
of the repo trim four years ago. Glad I saved the original trim. The repo was double foil
thickness junk! Pitched it and made do with nice originals!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Slim. I'm working on a '67. I don't plan to use the repro trim, I just need the hardware that's missing from my NOS set of trim. I wondered if the hardware that comes with the repro stuff will work with original trim. Thus far I have been unable to find some original trim hardware. If someone can help me out with original hardware for the rear fastback 1/4 panel ext trim, please let me know! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,674 Posts
The set I recently bought had trunk length studs, too short. Glad I had saved the OEM's, scrubbed 'em up and used them instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine were long gone and I have been unable to find a set. I'll post another wanted AD in case someone has a few. I'm sure others know what I mean when I say that finding parts is 1/2 the fun, but it's also half the reason I'm going insane. :)
 

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
Joined
·
24,597 Posts
Angela said:
Thanks for the info Slim. I'm working on a '67. I don't plan to use the repro trim, I just need the hardware that's missing from my NOS set of trim. I wondered if the hardware that comes with the repro stuff will work with original trim. Thus far I have been unable to find some original trim hardware. If someone can help me out with original hardware for the rear fastback 1/4 panel ext trim, please let me know! :)

About 4 years ago when I decided to use nice OEM used I found some NOS end cap trim
trim mounting stud/clips. IIRC they were getting about $12/clip. I bought 4 (sucker!). :loco:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, $12/clip! Although, as of today, I am unable to locate a single one. I posted a wanted ad and did check with AMK as well. Please let me know if you know of a source for OEM clips.
 

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
Joined
·
24,597 Posts
Angela said:
Wow, $12/clip! Although, as of today, I am unable to locate a single one. I posted a wanted ad and did check with AMK as well. Please let me know if you know of a source for OEM clips.

I searched my not too organized records. Couldn't find the record of them. IIRC they
were "limited" supply back then. This wasn't a bidding thing, that was the price!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Angela said:
Wow, $12/clip! Although, as of today, I am unable to locate a single one. I posted a wanted ad and did check with AMK as well. Please let me know if you know of a source for OEM clips.
Do you have access to a mustang junk yard in your area? This might be your best bet then refinish them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boy, I sure wish there was a local salvage yard with mustang parts. Unfortunately for me, all the salvage yards in my vacinity have long since been picked over for mustang parts. :-(

I sent requests to a couple mustang yards near the west coast but both responded and said they could not help me. AMK did not have anything. Ugh!

Anyone know of a yard in their area that might have some? Man, I'd be willing to pay a little more if someone could help me locate some. :)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top