Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think my 351W will run in the quarter mile?? 65 coupe (pretty bare and very light), 351W .30 over, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads w/ 2.02/1.60 valves ported & polished, roller everything (cam,lifters,rocker arms), single plane Victor Jr. intake, Holley 700 double pumper,272 cam w/.600 lift, SRP 10.8:1 compression, stock shootpeened rods, Arp studs all around. This is with a C-4 shift-kit, 3500 stall, with 3.55 gears. Any guess on street tires, and slicks?? Thanks for you help!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Without knowing what type of rear suspension package you're running(i.e. stock, ladder bar, four link)it's going to be hard telling. Assuming you're running a stock suspension with a set of "slapper bars" you could be looking at high to mid 12's on street tires. Slicks could pick up another second or two.You'll have to run it to find out for sure.

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe Oval Track Racer, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 Pickup

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, basically stock suspension for now. 5 leaf rear with traction bars. Oh ya, it's an 8-inch. I'm hoping this will hold up since it's lighter than a 9-inch.

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've run 8 inchers before and they do hold up pretty well until you start piling on the horsepower.The two biggest problems I had with it were the rear pinion support breaking and the pinion snout shearing off when I launched the car. In my opinion the 9 inch is really the way to go. I have heard that the 9 inch rears also break the rear pinion support, but I personally have not had this happen. The extra weight in the rear could be beneficial for better traction on the launch. Not to mention there are a lot more gear ratios and hop up parts available for it. It's also a good idea to run a drive shaft loop in case something should go wrong because a loose driveline spinning at 7000 RPM's can be very destructive. Good luck with your toy,Scott

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe Oval Track Racer, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 Pickup

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would guess around 12.0's with slicks. With a 4:11 gear you might hit high 11's. Street tires, I would guess a bit of a smoke show and high 12's to 13.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I am running a very similar engine in my '67 vert with a little lower compression. I am not sure how fast mine is, except it's done in a couple C-5 Corvettes. Don't worry about adding weight in the rear, it needs it. I feel alot more comfortable having a nine inch rear in my car. The best thing i've done for traction is getting a really fat person to sit in the back seat. It sort of scares them, but at least it's hard to hear them squeel over the exhaust and the front end does seem to lift a little higher.

Russ

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595962&a=12199293&p=44747301.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts