Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I removed the rear glass I remember noticing the lip or overhang where the rear glass sits was not even with the inner quarters where it gets welded together. I didn't think much of it an figured I would trim it once the new quarters were on. Well I test fit the glass an low an behold that lip has to stay on otherwise the glass will probably fall right through. The upper half of the quarters appeared to be original along with the inner structure as well, and there doesn't appear to be any cut or saw marks from a hack job on a window replacement or anything like that from yester year. So I'm thinking about welding a strip of metal in that area to make it flush with the outer quarter and I'm wondering if others have seen this before or if it's common or?

Attachments

·
Registered
37,822 Posts
If you still have your old gasket on the glass you may want to lay it in there to check fit before you do any welding. I would have thought the inner panel and quarter panel would have lined up pretty well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you still have your old gasket on the glass you may want to lay it in there to check fit before you do any welding. I would have thought the inner panel and quarter panel would have lined up pretty well.
I have a new complete gasket set for the car so I could put that one on and recheck it but of course the more messing around the more likely you could cut the new seal on removal or scratch the glass, etc. It sure seems like that should be flush just for strength sake, the top an bottom seams are flush so I would think the sides should be too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts