Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a ton of pictures and measured the gaps along the door and trunk. What else should i do before i start cutting the whole 1/4 panel out. :chainsaw:

I was going to measure the trunk drop off distance but this 1/4 has had 2 seperate lower patches installed. :paranoid: So if anyone has that measuerment it would be nice to have.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Make sure the door is aligned well. It will be a major refernce point and it should be parallel to the rocker, and with an even gap to your original quarter panel. You might have to rebush the door hinges to get there but it should be done now.
Ditto for the trunk lid, align it left/right fore/aft, and then leave it on as a refernce point.
Don't forget to install quarter panel drains in the well of the drop off area. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
For the tack on question, I believe that the quarters should be first to replace AFTER the door hinge rebuild and gapped do to the fact that the panels are not adjustable. Doors and fenders can be moved around with adjustments.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You always start with door aligned properly first, you can adjust the rocker panels...... Make sure your happy with the gaps. As said earlier, the deck lid must be adjusted as well. Just take your time a use a good spotweld cutter and avoind any hammering or air chisels as possible. Be sure you plug weld it back on and control your heat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts