Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
@Ironhorse2022 you have soooo much more patience that I do. I'd pull the valve cover ASAP and look for the circlip.

·
Premium Member
1966 mustang convertible sprint 200, manual steering and brakes
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ha ! We’ll, you see, we finally bought an air fryer after getting tired of hearing everyone I know rave about them. Amazon dropped it off an hour ago. So, I’m elbows deep in chicken and French fries. Stomach says valve cover can wait a while. I probably will pull the cover tonight …..

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Cabinetry Countertop Kitchen sink Tap Tableware

Reactions: AZ_Ryan

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I know I'm gonna get flamed here but air fryers surprisingly cook a good steak when you get the timing right. My wife loves hers.

Reactions: Turnall

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
My buddy that talked me into getting it says it’s his favorite way to make steaks. Heard to believe it’s better than charcoal or cherry wood, but I’m glad to give it a try. Sure makes a nice balsamic/honey chicken, I can vouch for that.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Found the vac leak under my carb. Looks like it’s been there a long time. PO was more tolerant of rough idle than I am. Put a rebuild kit in the carb while it was off. Haven’t started it yet as valve cover is still off. Need to clean out valve cover baffle to make sure my missing pcv half-clip isn’t hanging out in there. Still need to bore scope cylinder 2. Head gasket on order.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
991 Posts
Found the vac leak under my carb. Looks like it’s been there a long time. PO was more tolerant of rough idle than I am. Put a rebuild kit in the carb while it was off. Haven’t started it yet as valve cover is still off. Need to clean out valve cover baffle to make sure my missing pcv half-clip isn’t hanging out in there. Still need to bore scope cylinder 2. Head gasket on order.
Man for such a nice looking car it sounds like the PO really neglected it mechanically. Glad you're making progress.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Light Automotive tire Gear Household hardware Automotive wheel system

Reactions: AZ_Ryan and Turnall

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I was thinking it’s a bit of a coincidence that cylinder 1 and 3 are the oil burners and 2, the one between them is the low compression guy. Is there a failure condition on the head gasket that could explain this ? Gonna do the bore scope tomorrow. Thinking about putting the valve cover back on and just driving it till the weather breaks. Then pull the head and spend the winter setting things right. Doesn’t seem like I can do much additional damage to what ever is causing this oil consumption or the valve leak. Comments ?

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Agreed.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Yeah but it’s a six cylinder head which is two cylinders heavier than a V-8 head. Don’t hurt your back if doing it yourself. Much better to get an extra set of hands.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Since it's a six cylinder head you can at least stand in the engine bay to lift it off to make it easier on your back.

I stand on the flat frame areas under the battery and the washer fluid bag.

Still heavy though.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wheel
Thanks Magnus, good idea. I didn’t notice at first but think my valve seals are bad after all. They are intact and soft which threw me at first. But then I realized they seem to have swollen and are now riding at the top of the valve stem. The bottom of the seal isn’t stretched around the steel part of the head. Seems like oil could just flow under the seal and down the valve stem. Could someone check out this pic and confirm my theory ? The seal has blue paint overspray on it so the dark section below the seal is the steel head it’s supposed to be sealing on , u think.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Little chance that a 55 year old car has the original untouched engine in it.
I consider myself very fortunate with my purchase 9 years ago. When we pulled the engine 3 years ago to rebuild and add a little umph, the engine had never been opened up and by confirming date codes, was/am 99.9% sure that it was original to the car. YMMV

John

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Hey sub, ya, that’s a nice thing - not having to figure out past “efforts”.

Reactions: subpar63
41 - 56 of 56 Posts