Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapping out the one barrel carb on my inline 6 for a 2 barrel carb setup. Any pics or ideas of how to modify the linkage. Any resource ideas for slim air cleaners or adaptor plates so I don’t have to change my hood.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
vintage inlines...is the new business that replaced "classic inlines" that was a major Clifford competitor. They still have the "Tech" section from the old classic inlines website. Look under products and you will find the Tech section with a wealth of info for your ideas. You will be changing more than just a carb to get this to work...read up.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
when i did this conversion on my old 66 falcon, i swapped the six cylinder bell crank out for the V8 bell crank, and modified the rod that connected the bell crank to the carb to fit. it worked nicely, and is still working as far as i know(sold the car back in 2007).

as for an air cleaner, i used a small diameter, a nine inch, low profile, about 1 1/2" thick, aftermarket air cleaner, i think it was a cal custom one. it BARELY cleared the hood though, so you might consider milling the carb adapter by about 1/2" as needed to add clearance.

another option for throttle linkage is to use a fairmont cable throttle and pedal assembly. you can also pull the head and have it modified for a direct mount carb to gain more hood clearance as well.

also choose your carb adapter wisely. try to avoid those that use the stock one barrel adapter to align the carb. i used one from transadapt that eeliminated the stock carb spacer. vintageinlines has a few different styles of carb adapters available.

the carb i used was a 2100 autolite carb, worked nice,, but the shorter 38/38 weber carb will also gain you hood clearance, and is a good carb to use.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Check out this old thread on what I concocted to get the linkage to work...

For the air cleaner, I cut up the original and welded up a new base plate that matched my Weber carb top. It clears the hood fine and looks stock (if that matters). The new carb was a HUGE upgrade to that engine; improved drivability, more power, easier starting, would highly recommend it!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Run a drop base air cleaner.

I think the Vintage Inlines adapter eliminate the baseplate and orientates the carb correctly. Its $65, but is a well engineering quality piece.

You will need enough height to clear the valve cover.

What carb are you running?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Before you order an adapter, if your engine isn't original you might want to date check the head. There were two different carb inlet sizes, with different stud spacing too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts