Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running 16x7 Torque Thrust II's with 225-50-16's on the front and with my standard springs there is clearance. When I put the 620's on the front obviously the car will drop 1" but will the new springs be sturdy enough keep the car from touching the tires? Basically, the old springs probably give about 2" or so...seeing as how the new springs will already be "giving" an inch with the drop, will they keep the car from "giving" the other inch that it would take to keep the car off the tires? Thanks to anyone who could help! Multipule replies with the same answer from different guys would be ok to settle my mind.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
When I pulled out my old springs and installed one inch drop springs....that car actually sat higher than it did previously because of how worn out the old spring was.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
It's a definate maybe. *LOL* I have 620's in my '66 coupe, but wiith only 15x7 TTD's. I drive the HELL out of my car and have never banged a fender on the tires. I DID however bang a header the other day on a mountain road trying to keep up with a Sunbeam Tiger at border line unsafe speeds. Tires and fenders were fine though. 620's are pretty stiff ... they don't give a whole lot.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm running 15x8's and I don't have a problem. When I replaced the old stock springs with 620's from Mustangs Plus the car only lowered about 1/2 an inch. I cut another 1 1/2 off the 620's to get the ride height I wanted. The tires don't touch but the shocks will bottom out if I hit a pot hole at speed. I should cure that problem with better shocks. 620's are pretty stiff.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I was concerned about the 620 coils (Branda) allowing the front end to be too low on the Fastback so I opted to install the 1" upper spring insulators to regain some height. These are available from most Mustang vendors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts