Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 1 inch sector short shaft manual steering box in my '67 that has the "clunk" in it, and that tells me it is in need of repair/replacement. So next spring I'm going to send my 1 inch sector steering box to Chockostang. I'm unable to do any work like that with the car over winter. I'm thinking of switching over to the 1 1/8 sector box as they are much more common, and just buying one of Chock's restored steering boxes. I'll need the 1 1/8 pitman (manual steering) of course. But, are there any other issues I might need to be aware of before I go ahead and start ordering parts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Dan can sell you a box with the 1" also, im sure. Did you say it has a short steering shaft and is 1", or were you referring to the 1" being the short shaft?

I have bought a 19:1 ratio early 67 box from Dan and sent him my old one back as a core, so I could pull it and install it the same day. No need for changing pitman arms.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a short shaft (has a rag joint) box, April '67 build so it is the 1 inch sector shaft. I verified this when I put a new pitman on 25 000 miles ago, needed the 1 inch pitman. Now THAT was a search to find a NOS one of those at the time.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok,thanks. I'll email Dan at Chockostang and see if he can sell me a 1 inch box too. Hopefully he has one and then it's a yank out and put in job. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts