Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody accomplished this project?
WIll this fit in the existing stock hood? Also, what are the expected material costs on this type of project? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
If you have a stock intake on a 200 CID head (integral), there are many options to a 2bbl conversion. I have a 2barrel Weber progressive on my inline, as seen in my picture. It really woke up the intake side of my engine! It cost $450 and came with the carburetor, custom K&N chrome filter housing and of course, K&N filter! That's about the price of a really good carburetor for a V8, without an air cleaner or filter like a K&N.

There are other options such as a Carter, or Holley. Both, like the Weber will require adapter plates for the 1bbl intake you've got.

If you want to switch heads like I did, then no adapter is necessary. On later 250 cube motors, there is a 2bbl intake already on the head and you can slap a Weber, like I did, right onto it. The K&N filter housing is built especially for the 38/38 carburetor and fits perfectly underneath any 65-69 Mustang hood.

Total cost for my project, including beer and all connectors, etc was $564.57... well worth it. I even get better gas mileage, something most carburetor upgrades can't claim!

Much luck!

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
You can take a 250 head with the larger log and mill the area surounding the carburator mount flat, enlarge the hole and run an Autolite/Motorcraft/FoMoCo 2 bbl. fits under the hood without any trouble at all. I know a fellow who swapped that head off and has some Argentinian head now. If you're intersted in his head, linkage, port divider, etc you can probably get it for a song; he's in South TX. If interested, send me a PM and link you guys together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts