Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!!! I have taken the front brakes apart on my car and I noticed some things. First of all, the linings on the shoes were very badly glazed, but I thought no big deal, so I lightly sanded the glazing off. Then I noticed that the brake adjusting cables were all snapped, so I replaced those. But the thing that I am stuck on now are the springs. The 1968 Mustang Shop Manual (original Ford) shows that the 10" drum brakes need a long spring that goes beneath the brake cylinder, but after looking at mine, this spring is not there. So I went to Napa and after they had a hard time finding what the manual referred to as a "Shoe Retracting Assist Spring", I simply ordered a whole new spring kit (the guy at Napa thought this spring would be included with the kit). So, when I got home with the spring set finally I realize that this spring was not included!!! Soooo, is this spring needed??? Just need some help. Man, I can't wait till I switch to the Granada discs!!!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The adjuster cables failed likely because of failure to lubricate the cables where they ride over the crescent piece. Put a little wheel bearing grease in the ridge in the cresent piece and the cables will last a lot longer.

Also lubricate the sides of the shoe metal where they contact the backing plates - makes for a lot less noise when the brakes are actuated.

The spring you refer to is not included in aftermarket spring kits as you've noticed. These are hard to find so I wish you luck. The spring isn't absolutely necessary but does help to prevent high heat and glazing of your shoes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts