Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's what I got to put in on Saturday on the Fastback. I cleaned up the undercarriage around the rear end area. POR-15ed some surface rust and repainted. Wasted 1/2 hour draining the gas tank, only to realize that pulling it would not give me any more clearance to access the frame rail than with it in (Driver's side tailpipe hanger)! Reinstalled the frt-rear brake line (Need new clips). Installed the Hedman Elite HTC Headers: Man, what a PITA that rear DS Stage 8 bolt was to get in. In fact, I couldn't! Wasted another hour on that, and finally settled for a std. header bolt in that spot. 15 out of 16 is OK with me! Then, I started fitting the pipes and the X-pipe. It's interesting how one imagines things looking to how they really are!!! The headers do not come out parallel to the engine, and the DS extends farther back than the PS! Luckily, I was able to cut and trim the pipes to match up perfectly with the X-pipe just below the rear section of the tranny. FYI, I'm using the JC Whitney Headers Back Dual Exhaust kit (no mufflers included) that has mandrel bent 2 1/4" Aluminized tubing all the way to the tail pipe. The header tubes are already flared, so that's one less weld there. The mid-pipes have an expanded end to slip over the X-pipe tubes. Now all I need is a short S-pipe to match the mid-pipes to the DynoMax ST mufflers. Finally, I had to find a way to add nut plates for the driver's side muffler hanger. Well, there is absolutely NO way to access that area without cutting a hole from the passanger compartment. After much contemplation (I hate cutting things that aren't supposed to be!) I cut an access hole under/behind the rear seat to be able to reach a nut plate into the panel. It worked great! Now, how do I add the nutplates into the DS frame rail to hang an original style tailpipe hanger????

All that on a bowl of Raisin Bran after a jog with the dog, and three diet Cokes all day and an Italian Ice with my 5 yr. old daughter when she told me how hot and tired I looked!!!! I was one tired puppy Sat. night. I didn't DARE look at the car on Sunday for fear of SWMBO reprisal!! ::

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I feel your pain. I spent all day Friday applying POR-15 to the entire floor of the interior from the foot area to the trunk (My interior was out because I had TCP subs welded in on thursday. On Saturday, I installed new sound/heat proofing on the floors, tranny tunnel and under the back seat, installed new carpet (Pain in the butt), installed two new (actullay old but repainted) rear interior panels and put the seats front and back, seatbelts, kick panels, sill plates, etc all back together and actually went for drive that night. A lot of work but worth the effort.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I wish to heck I knew about all you guys when I LIVED in central Cali. It would have made my Mustang life a lot easier!!!!
Where in Central Cali did you live? I live about 35 miles south of Fresno. My son in law played baseball for UT a few years back.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
15 out of 16 is OK with me!
LMAO!

How did you get 12 hours without hearing DAD. DAAAD. DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!

Look at the bright side. That's 12 hours worth of work you will (hopefully) NEVER have to do again!

And it is right that you didn't even look at the car on Sunday. When I was doing my car, every Saturday and Sunday that SWMBO wasn't working (read every other weekend) was spent on the Mustang. Got plenty of evil eyes and icy stares. Now that it's done, I get the look if I even talk about going out for a ride.

Glad you had a great day. Give #16 another shot.

Frank

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, ya thread jacker!! This is MY glory thread!! ;) ::

Frank, I'll give it another try, but the curve of the pipe interferes with the larger base diameter of the Stage 8 bolt. I guess I could have tried ANOTHER hour on it!! ::

I'm waiting until the kids have been in school a couple of weeks, and then play hooky from work when no one is home. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts