Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my autometer oil pressure, water temp and volt meter guages today. It got late so I did not get the volt meter hooked up. Is the red/green wire coming off the ignition switch plugged into the pink resister wire the best place for this connection or is there a better/easier location to attach it to? Just splicing into the wire ok?. Also, I put in an inline fuse connection for this connection for safety purposes. What amp fuse should I use?

Mark

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Mark,

A great place is the back of the cigarette lighter. I used it to drive an electric fuel pump.

There is a female bullet connector there you can just pull off. Then connect to it with a male bullet spliced to the wire from the voltmeter. This way you're not cutting any wires.

This works great provided you don't smoke!

::

Charlie

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The cigarette lighter is hot all the time. If you hook to the lighter, the amp gauge would be a constant draw on the battery, after the engine was shut off.

I myself would hook it to a switched connection, such as the heater, radio, or best yet, the 3-way connector that the backup lights plug into. That way, you can flip the key to the accessories position if you wanted to read the volt meter, without having to start the engine or have voltage across the coil.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
You are correct sir!

SORRY!

I forgot I use a master battery disconnect so there is no power there after I get out of the car and turn the switch on the fender off!

Charlie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts