Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm heading up to Hot August Nights next month, and I know from experience there is a lot of sitting in traffic in 100 degree weather. Not fun with a black interior.

Now if I had a grand+ to spend on my car, I could probably install air conditioning. But I don't.

So what I am thinking is one of those 12v fans that plugs into the cigarette lighter to at least get some airflow when traffic is stopped (you know, like the schoolbus drivers had?)

Does anyone have experience with any of these, enough to make recommendations?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yup, but in the wheelhouse of my dive boat, not in a car. They work well. As a tip if you buy a couple of those gizmos you freeze and put around your neck the air blowing on them makes it cool. If you are feeling flush buy a couple of them and put an ice cooler in the car and rotate them.

Cheap, cheesy, and it works!

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Well worth the money if you don't have A/C. I have used them in many vehicles. I used to set a small cooler full of ice behind them.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I'm figuring.

Did you use the clip on kind? Also, do you have any recommendation on brands, where to buy, etc.?

It's funny you mention the ice, because I've often wondered if sticking a load of crushed ice down the cowl vent would make the air come out of the vents really cool? Never tried it though. I always figured it would probably melt almost instantaneously in any weather where you'd need it because it is crushed. Thoughts?

·
Registered
104 Posts
That would be interesting, but I imagine it would only be cold until you hit the bridge and be melted and running out of the cowl by then.

Target, Auto stores, West Marine, all have the fans. Get the kind that have the longer curly cord so that you can clip one or two to the ice chest, it will make a difference. Also remember, water will cool down your body 25% faster than air. Spritz your shirt for the ultimate in coolness.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Yep, any auto parts or Wal Mart should have them. Brand is no big deal. I like the ones that clip on and oscillate also.

The ice in the cowl would melt to fast to give any long term cooling.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,356 Posts
Actually they have seat covers with fans that circulate air past your buns to your back. They are suprisingly effective. They plug into your lighter but I have found the power draw to be a little high for my driver and had to install an accessory lighter plug.
I have in the past had various "normal" fans in non-AC work vehicles. I'd trade them all for these cooled seat covers. Plus you don't have to figure out how to secure and aim them, just throw them on the seat.
A friend gave mine to me. I don't know where they came from. These look like an upscale version of what I have- Link

1 - 7 of 7 Posts