Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was wondering if there is anywhere around that I could find 185/80R13. I have been to many places and they are all on Nationwide Backorder. I live in Kansas. My last two chances to find any is on here or wait for the next car show and ask guys around there. Or wait for God knows how long.

·
Registered
713 Posts
So, you have a 64 1/2 huh? If the bolt pattern is the same for the 14 inch wheels, why not upgrade as such and get the 14 inch wheels? Better still, get some 15 inch wheels and you will have a ton of wheel choices.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Coker Tire and Diamondback Tire Co. both have that size, but only in a wide whitewall.

You can google either company's name and find the websites, but I'm feeling like you probably don't want a wide whitewall tire.

-Joseph Knight

·
7,124 Posts
UGAstang said:
Coker Tire and Diamondback Tire Co. both have that size, but only in a wide whitewall.

You can google either company's name and find the websites, but I'm feeling like you probably don't want a wide whitewall tire.

-Joseph Knight
Why couldn't you mount it backwards?

Phil

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
I thought I was the only one running 13's
on my stang!
I've got a used set of 4 with good tread if
you are interested.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I checked Tirerack...they have a couple diff 185/70R13. They have a Goodyear 185/80 R13
but it's rated for trailor use only!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I just checked them for 205/70R13. No luck there, either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Darn this sucks! I could find these tires easily 2 years ago for a good price and now have to probably see if a 14 or 15 will fit on the stang. It took me forever just to find one matching hubcap to complete the 4.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
From the tire guy....tire manufacturers are backing off making a lot of 13" sizes, and 14" are not far behind. The reason is simple - most cars are going to 16", 17", 18", etc. oe. The casr that take the 13" and 14" are getting fewer as the days go on, so they are not going to commit manufacturing space for a dead or dying market. I personally had the same trouble getting 185/80R13's for my Mom's car, and 225/70R14's for my son's 97 Ford Ranger. You may have to go with a minor brand tire (import) to get the size. Advice to anyone who knows that their car is due for a set of those tires in the near future - start looking now. It'll only get worse. My advice to you for now - upgrade it to a 14" or 15" size. Yes, it means investing in wheels, either plain black ones, or aftermarket custome wheels. Even if your car is original, the custome wheels will have a nice touch. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there a way to repair the tire I have? They are pretty much brand new with lots of tread. Just have cracks/weather worn from sitting for some time. It doesn't hold air but figure someone might know a trick like fix a flat or something that might work.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
You need to check to see how old the tire is to see if it's worth fixing. Cracks and dried out sidewalls are red flags to me and should be to you, too. Check the DOT number. It will end in 3 or 4 numbers. Think of the first 2 as weeks. The last one or 2 are the year. For instance, the DOT 2603 would be the 26th week (or the end of June) of 2003. If you have a 526, that's the last week of 1996. To me, that's too old to mess with. The tire has outlived it's usefulness, regardless of the amount of tread on the tire.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Tires aren't shot from age! It's UV,O3 and heat that breaks them down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts