Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always having been one that enjoys a more "stock", even sportscar look, I've been running 195/70-14 whitewalls on factory-type rallye wheels. However, now that I've just hotted-up my suspension AND its time to replace my tires, I've been thinking about something wider with better handling characteristics, in the form of 60 series white letters (yeah, I know...blasphemy!). It looks like the size should be 215/60's, from my little bit of research. Anybody have any brand/model suggestions or advice?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I have 225/60/14 in stock SS wheels on my 68 and they fit and look great.
I have the same tires on my 65, with not enough back spacing, and they rub the front fenders when turning hard.

Make sure you look at jays or dodgestangs wheel and tire chart before you buy.

I would think 215/60/14's on stock wheels would work fine. Check the chart though.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that's an awesome bit of info! Thanks.
However, I've pretty much got the size handled. I'm really looking for some input on brands people have used and like (or dislike, for that matter). I mean, is the old standby BFG Radial T/A still a great tire for the money for what I want (handling), using my 14" rallye wheels, on a car that has suspension mods, and is driven maybe 500 miles a year? Or should I go with Pirelli P7000 SuperSports? Know what I mean?

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Considering you have virtually no choices in that size for performance tires, I would just go with a BFG T/A...I've ran them for years on various cars and they have always given me good middle of the road performance.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking, too. Radial T/A: Very accessible, cheaper than dirt, and been around since shortly after the wheel was invented!
Nice car, BTW!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have the lower profile BFG white letters on my car with 14" wheels. It looks a little more mean now with the coils cut but I don't have my digital camera around to make an updated signature pic. Hope it gives you an idea anyway!

·
Registered
802 Posts
235/60/14 on back and 215/60/14 up front with 1" drop all around, looked good but the 17s look better :: I got a good deal on the firehawks, they're pretty much the same as the BFG T/As.
http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL42/1559082/3458805/59430285.jpg

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I can tell you from experience that you should go with the most widely avilable tire you can find. Due to the 14" size, there are not many out there. My guess is that BFG will be the last to stop producing them due their history with muscle cars.

I had put a set of Kelly Chargers on my 65 about 3K miles ago with the thought that they would last almost forever. (I drive the car less than 2k miles a year). Well, an encounter with something in the road, resulted in a ruined tire and although I had road hazzard coverage, the replacement was free but the tires were discontinued. I left the tire shop with a BFG T/A. I was able to track one Kelly tire down in CA (one of the last 3 in existence). You may want to consider buying a matching spare, if you haven't.

My next move will be to larger rims and a braoder range of tire choices.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah, good advice! And thanks for the input and pics, guys, I appreciate it. I just gave the car a good looking at, however, and I'm starting to wonder if there's room under there for a 215/60, even on my 14 x 6's. With the low 620 coils up front and hi-po leaves (leafs?) in the back, there doesn't look to be much room on either end. Maybe I'll be stuck with 205/70's?? ::

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I'm currently running 235/60s on 14x7s all around. Wider tires usually end up giving the car a more "muscle-ish" look. Whatever you do though, dont buy the POSs Cooper Cobra Radial G/Ts that I got. I got them because they looked good, had heard good things from them, and I got a good deal to top it off. BUT, those things are slippery like HECK. If I brake a bit too hard, those things just start screaching like crazy. I never had that problem with my old tires, and they were Kelly Chargers. ::

Definetely go with BFGs, I sure will next time I buy tires...

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WhiteLightning66, what size tires are those?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts