Vintage Mustang Forums banner

14" air cleaner fitment issue

537 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Woodchuck
I purchased an Edelbrock 14" chrome air cleaner for my 66 Mustang. I have an Edelbrock RPM dual plane intake and a Pertronix distributor. The 14" air cleaner seems too large and doesn't clear the distributor. Does anyone have any tricks or has anyone experienced the same.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
A picture showing your issue might help with advice.
Reactions: 1
Top and bottom photo of the air cleaner. Some bases are high profile and some are recessed. Make sure linkages clear. A possible solution is to change out the filter element with a shorter one, this will require shortening the stud.

Edit: I assumed your issue was height, not dizzy clearance. That's a new one.
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design Hood

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

Here are a couple of pics, one with the 13" Ford air cleaner, one showing the air cleaner hitting the distributor and one of the underside of the air cleaner.
See less See more
View attachment 874786
View attachment 874785
View attachment 874787
Here are a couple of pics, one with the 13" Ford air cleaner, one showing the air cleaner hitting the distributor and one of the underside of the air cleaner.
Able to reroute the plug wires? Cylinder 8 and 7 on cap? Put 7 on the outside and 8 on the inside?
Reactions: 1
I'll also mention the glass fuel filter before anyone else does. Most believe they are no bueno and a major fire hazard. 🤷‍♂️
I have the HiPo style air cleaner and it clears the Pertronix distributor because it doesn't have a drop base.

I'd just keep the Ford Motorsport air cleaner. Looks far better anyway. Theres nothing wrong with it and also has a better filter element.

And do toss that glass fire hazard fuel filter out with the garbage.
thanks uibalnme! Does the offset still flow well?
Move your firing order one terminal counter clockwise. That'll eliminate the need for the 1-5 crossover.
thanks uibalnme! Does the offset still flow well?
All it does is move the filter about 1.5” back. That should‘t affect flow. There are also offset drop bases that allow the use of taller filters. I had an offset drop base and used a filter top. I never had any problems with it. Way more filter surface area than I needed.
We used the offset air cleaner base on my friend's 67 Mercury to clear an HEI distributor. I'm not a fan of either but they work.
Change the routing of the 2 wires as shown in RED and YELLOW, and ditch the lawnmower fuel filter shown by the PINK "X".
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle
See less See more
1 - 14 of 14 Posts