Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next fix or upgrade is another steering wheel and the choice is 14 or 15 inch.
My current wheel the original has a very bad Crack n the hug and I want more space to drive so new wheel time.
Oh I did buy the seat track extender for more room. Install on the way.
The 13 to me is way to small. So it's 14 or 15.
As a young kid I had a 65 chevy stepside that I had a 13 wheel on and did ok but that was the 25 year old me The 54 me not to sure about to small wheels at low speed. Lol

·
Registered
37,701 Posts
On a Mustang I've run everything from a 13-1/2 to a 15 and like the 14 & 15 the best, especially with manual steering. If you're tall, like me, you can also get more knee/lap room by going with a wheel with a deeper dish which not only moves the wheel up off your legs but also closer to you... I find that when you have the seat all the way back that sometimes your arms get too straight to be comfortable with the wheel so far away.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'll pretty much echo woodchuck on this one. The 13 1/2s wheels just look too small for some reason. The 15s are nice for manual steering, but I lose the leg room. The 14 seems to be the sweet spot. And yes, the deeper the dish, for me, the better as it positions it closer to me.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
A tilt column could help a lot. Nice little mod to disguise beneath a stock steering wheel.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I have a 15" steering wheel and car has manual, quick steer (16:1) box and 225 wide front tires. It is a work out when doing tight parking maneuvers. Fine when rolling along. I would not want a smaller wheel for effort reasons. However, if you have the standard 19:1 steering box, your setup would be easier with a 14" wheel than mine.

With the shallow dish of a Moto-Lita and the length of the Branda collar the wheel is a bit tight on the legs. I wish the collar was a couple inches longer, but I have gotten used to the reach.

I am about 6'-3" and 210#

·
Registered
216 Posts
if only someone would make one for a 70...

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Either or. Personally I like the 15". For one I have a 16:1 box, 4° caster and 72 spindles that have slightly shorter tie rod arms. Plus I think the 15" looks better. That's just me. And I have more then a few years on you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm with Rbohm except I'm 6'4".

I went with 13 1/2 and have to agree it looks a bit smal but there's enough room for my tree trunk legs under it! If I can stick to my diet maybe there's a 14" wheel in my future.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
I currently have a 15" Grant walnut .Manual steering with slow:1 box and a Shelby quick steer kit 225/45/17 or 225/50/16 4ish castor
I really like to at least try a 14" wheel

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I’ve run a stock size wheel with stock power steering (way too big), a wooden 13” wheel with rack and pinion, PS, and lots of caster (feels great, looks small, gets sweaty when driving in hot weather), a 13.5” with the same setup but vinyl covered and padded (best setup thus far).

My wife’s Mustang has manual steering with the stock size wheel... lots of complaining until I installed a vinyl steering wheel cover for added grip (wheel is cracked heavily). I have a nice 14” wooden wheel to get swapped in after the rack and pinion gets installed in her car.

My $0.02... ?

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I have a stock wheel on the 65 V8 and am adding Borgeson PS and a Ididit tilt column.

On my 67 I6 I have a 14" wheel and am adding EAPS .

IMO for us older or taller guys you need a small wheel with some form of power assist or a larger wheel with tilt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My next fix or upgrade is another steering wheel and the choice is 14 or 15 inch.
My current wheel the original has a very bad Crack n the hug and I want more space to drive so new wheel time.
Oh I did buy the seat track extender for more room. Install on the way.
The 13 to me is way to small. So it's 14 or 15.
As a young kid I had a 65 chevy stepside that I had a 13 wheel on and did ok but that was the 25 year old me The 54 me not to sure about to small wheels at low speed. Lol
I put a 14" Nardi in my 69. Expensive, but very nice, I selected a different horn button.
61wpBrIkvEL._SL1024_.jpg
61wpBrIkvEL._SL1024_.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts