Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '71 Grande has 14" steel wheels on it now. I'm considering putting Magnum 500's on in their place. The direct replacement would be size 14x7. How would these look as opposed to 15x7's? By going to the larger rim size, what will be affected in the use of the car? Reported speed/mileage? Thanks!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
The cat has 15 X 7 (205 70 15), which gives almost exactly the same overall diameter and width as the original rims / tires. Since today's tires are far superior to the ones available 36 years ago, it works out very well for me despite the lower tire height.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
go with the 15 in. rims they shuold not affect your handling and the really fill up the wheel wells nice.thats what i have on my 72.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
If you're going to buy new wheels and don't want to go too big, get 15" wheels. The 14" wheels, IMHO, don't look right.

·
Registered
9,826 Posts
15" will help the handling a bit, as you can have a shorter sidewall with the same overall diameter. Tire cost isn't even an issue, Radial T/A's are under $65 at www.tirerack.com for just about any 245 or under 15" tire. AND you have a much better selection of brands and types if you go 15".

·
Registered
252 Posts
Corey,

Well, it depends on what you want to do. Personally I'd go with 14's and get the tires size 225/70 R 14. This would allow you to swap tires to your factory 14 X 7 steel wheels if you ever chose to enter a more factory correct look without purchase of a new set of tires.

The 225/70 R 14s are a bigger tire than factory size. However, they aquit themselves well in the wheel wells. We know the factory 14 tire looks tiny in the bigger 71 - 73 wheel wells.

I can't answer your second question about handling. I do have a set of the steel 15 X 7 wheels with the trimrings/caps (The BOSS wheels). They haven't been put on a car yet though.

Good luck with whatever you do. Mag 500s are great, but the factory are good too.

Only downside in 14" - a good muscle looking tire is hard to procure. Radial TAs/Firehawaks or Eagle #1 Nascars (which I have) are pretty much the only options in those sizes.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
i like my 14s just fine, they seem to handle well enough for me, i'm not sure how much you would gain by going to 15s

1 - 9 of 9 Posts