Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay if I "play" "dumb" for a moment??? I currently have 14 inch rims on my 67-- I want to add 15 inch rims in order to get a beefer look. Soooooo Do I just go down to my local salvage yard and buy 4 Ford 15 inch rims -- Is that all there is to it?? Will all 15 inch FORD rims fit on the Mustang 5 stud pattern?? Sorry for sounding stupid BUT I just had to ask the question. Thanks.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
You need rims with boltspacing that is 5 on 4.5" ... don't know if the 14 to 15" stock wheel swap is worth the effort though...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply- BUT I am not sure about What you mean 4.5 "???. Cant i just bring down a standard 14" ford rim and match up the STUDS with a 15" Ford Rim ?? Sorry for being "thick". thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply--- I guess that the 15 inch Ford LTD wheel has a wider track 6-6.5 inch range to handle the wider tire width right? Is there a particular YEAR to look for in the LTD rim. Sorry for all the stupid questions- But you have to understand that this is my first time.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,496 Posts
It kind of depends on the "look" you're after. If it's just a set of standard stamped steel wheels with hub caps, a salvage yard is probably a good place to start. If you're thinking about some kind of alloy wheel, don't forget to consider larger wheels as well, for example, 16" Explorer rims apparently fit as well. Search for "DaveOxide" here on VMF, I believe he's got a set of Explorer alloys on his 67 Coupe.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many THANKS to Jay, Rich, Jeff, And Russ for their helpful input regarding 15 inch or bigger Rims for the 67. On Saturday- i will be headed out to Carlsile Pa for their Summer Car show. Right Now- I arranged for the day Off to try to use the upper ball joint remover that my brother just rented. Hope I get the UCA out without any damage to the spindles. While I am waiting for my brother to return with the tool- I am right NOW applying airplane paint stripper to the front fender to see how well it works. Wish me luck AGAIN Thanks for the help. :D

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The 4.5 is the amount of back spacing the wheels need to fit correctly. check the tire and wheel chart in one of the other replies and that can explain a little better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts