Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what tire sizes any of you have put on your mustangs, without clearance problems.
I have a 67 coupe and would like to put 295-50-15 wheels on the rear, but was wondering if they will fit, and on what size rim? I am not going to be lowering the rear, and may raise it an inch or so, but do not want the tires sticking out past the fender well. That looks tacky.
What 15" size tires did you use up front?
I would really like to go to 17"rims, but man are they expensive! ::
Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've used the following;

15x8 front and rear, 235/60/15 all around......severe rubbing up front, even with fenders rolled.

15x7 front (225/60/15), 15x8 rear (235/60/15)......no rubbing and wheel wells nice and full. Could probably run a 235 on that 7 inch wheel up front for a bit more meat, and a 245 on the back too, but for now the set up looks agressive and doesn't give me any headaches.

Of course, the backspacing on yur chosen wheel will be an issue, along with your current/future suspension mods. Your local parts vendor can advise you on that. Does that help?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,827 Posts
I have 295-50-15 Cooper Cobras on the rear of my 67 coupe. It also has mild 2-3 inch fiberglass flares though. I don't think I would have been able to jam that big of a tire in there without the flares. My wheels are some early 1980's ET 9.5 inch wide mags. I have since forgotten the actual offset/backspacing but I've yet to see anybody else running these particular wheels. Though ET can fix you up with some at whatever backspace you like for $330 apiece.
Somewhere down my to-do list is jamming the widest possible tires under the front end, but it's quite a ways down.

G

·
0 Posts
I have a 66 convertable with 16x8 wheels TT2's and 205-55-16 all the way around with only minro rubbing when wheel is turned and a sizeable bump is hit.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
295/50's will be tough unless you have a lot of back spacing. I have 275/50's on the back of my '69 and that's about all I could fit into the wheel well on 15x8 Cragar S/S's. In order to keep the front tires the same height or smaller, I had to go 225/60's, although I probably could have gotten something a little bigger up front.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've got 215/70/15 tires with Styled Steel wheels all around on my '67 coupe. I get some rubbing (even with rolled fenders) on bumpy turns. When I re-tire the car, I'll be going 225/60/15. That combo seems to be the best among people who have tried it. 295 will definitely rub.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've got 295 15's on the back of my car. But I added 5 inches to each wheel well and narrowed the rear end. They fit nicely under the car.

Here is a pic with the car on the trailer.

http://gallery.mystang.net/data/media/51/Rear_View_on_trailer_1.JPG

Here is a pic (not a very good one) with from the build showing the 5 inces added to the drivers wheel well.

http://gallery.mystang.net/data/media/51/Wheel_Tub_Drivers_Side.jpg

Sorry for the big images.

Hmm. Guess my pics did not work so here are the links.

Rear view on trailer

Drivers wheel well

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,827 Posts
My exact wheels are no longer made but they still make a VERY close match. ET wheels
No longer 9.5"s either, you have to choose between 8" or 10".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts