Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know this subject has probably been beat to death here but I could not find a consensus answer via the forum search. So apologies in advance.

I just got a 14 inch steering wheel for my 1969 Mach 1. I'll be going from the stock 15" to a GT350 style 14 inch. I also just got new 15" rims to replace my stock 14" that were on it.

Before I do any install is there really a big deal in going from 15" to 14" on the steering wheel? The only reason I went to a 14 (the same wheel is available in 15 so not a problem if I have to do a return/replacement), is comfort in getting in and out. It's a tight fit for a fat guy.

So stepping down an inch n the steering wheel combined with larger rims and tires. Is this going to be an issue?

Thanks all!

Andy

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
Do you have power or manual steering?
How wide are your front tires?
Of course the decrease in steering wheel diameter will increase the amount of steering effort in your part, but that may be welcome with factory power steering, or imperceptible with only 1" difference on a manual. If your tire size is rather wide, it will be noticeable, but with a narrow tire not as much.

Reactions: Crotch

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do indeed have power steering. I just got 15" Magnum 500's wth Firestone Wide Oval FR70's

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
With power steering it should not be an issue. The smaller steering wheel will add about 6.7% to steering effort. Tire impact on steering effort is harder to calculate and varies depending on how fast the car is rolling.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Much appreciated. And this car is new to me as well. So other than driving it around the block twice the past 2 weeks (I'm in WI) I haven't driven it. So It's not like I will have something crazy and new to get used to all over again.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
On my '66, I installed a 14" Nardi steering wheel with power steering. On the front, I run 205/60R15 on the 15"wheels with no significant increase in effort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts