Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a '70 pan fill C4 from a Galaxie in my son's '65, has the large 164 tooth flywheel/bellhousing. He needs a higher stall converter, have determined which one after a call to PTC. He actually already has one that is pretty close to what he needs, but it is for a 157 tooth small bell. I have read that a 157 tooth flywheel/bellhousing can be used on a 164 tooth, that it will bolt on with the pump bolts. We have everything to do the swap if its possible, so zero money, or simply buy a new converter for the 164??

·
Registered
35,317 Posts
So, what you are asking is "should I buy a 157-tooth flexplate, bellhousing, and starter so I can use a 'pretty close' torque converter, or should I just buy the right torque converter in the first place?"?

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Have a '70 pan fill C4 from a Galaxie in my son's '65, has the large 164 tooth flywheel/bellhousing. He needs a higher stall converter, have determined which one after a call to PTC. He actually already has one that is pretty close to what he needs, but it is for a 157 tooth small bell. I have read that a 157 tooth flywheel/bellhousing can be used on a 164 tooth, that it will bolt on with the pump bolts. We have everything to do the swap if its possible, so zero money, or simply buy a new converter for the 164??
Yes, the small 157 tooth bell will bolt on the pan fill c-4. I have seen it done but it does look a little funky. You will need longer bolts I believe for the pump.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, what you are asking is "should I buy a 157-tooth flexplate, bellhousing, and starter so I can use a 'pretty close' torque converter, or should I just buy the right torque converter in the first place?"?
Bartl, what part of "We have everything to do the swap if its possible, so zero money" don't you get?

·
Registered
35,317 Posts
Bartl, what part of "We have everything to do the swap if its possible, so zero money" don't you get?
Fine. Substitute "should I go through the trouble of swapping" for "buy".

I'm not sure that "you get" the fact that I post here from the goodness of my heart to try and help folks. I'll let the rest of the membership thank you for my decision today that I've had quite enough of the "snarkiness" and "know-it-alls" and have better things to occupy my time. So long.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And this isn't "snarkiness"???? And yes, you bring a lot to this forum...but I don't think you have any right to whine after a post like that.

·
Registered
35,245 Posts
I thought this comment was pretty snarky myself. The "don't you get" is what does that. It means, in modern American parlance, that the the person to whom it is directed is a dumbass who did not read the question. In other words, it is either deliberately rude and insulting, or is a world-class poor choice of words and profuse apologies, not justification and added insults about "whining".

If you want to use the incorrect, ill-fitting parts, why did you even ask? Instead, when you get an answer you don't like, you get nasty. Personally, I agree with bartl, that parts should be the correct configuration for the year and application. Makes installation and compatibility with other parts a snap, and future repairs are a lot less confusing. For example, now you will have to use the wrong starter for your year/application, and five years from now when it fails, you'll be all like "effing Fords, nobody can figure out what starter I need." Well duh.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I asked a pretty simple question, a pretty simple answer could have been "you would be better off buying a new converter", instead I get a smartass answer from someone who didn't read the question properly. And, this is for my son who is in college and doesn't have a lot of money, so if using the 157 tooth flexplate/bell will work (which is what I was asking), then he could save $450.

It appears a lot of people have done this swap, was just looking for advice here. Sorry it developed into this.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PTC told me a 3000 stall would work great with our combo, my son has a 2800 stall on the shelf that he could use. This is a street car, won't be at the track.

·
Premium Member
10,810 Posts
Bart gave the same answer i would have given, maybe just not the same exact words. Bart wasnt snarky , Bart was trying to help you ! No one on the forum is obligated to answer any questions, we do it to help others out. I say buy the correct converter to start with. I have done the get me close stuff and regretted wasting money. Bart is A-O.K. in my book !

·
Premium Member
10,810 Posts
I thought this comment was pretty snarky myself. The "don't you get" is what does that. It means, in modern American parlance, that the the person to whom it is directed is a dumbass who did not read the question. In other words, it is either deliberately rude and insulting, or is a world-class poor choice of words and profuse apologies, not justification and added insults about "whining".

If you want to use the incorrect, ill-fitting parts, why did you even ask? Instead, when you get an answer you don't like, you get nasty. Personally, I agree with bartl, that parts should be the correct configuration for the year and application. Makes installation and compatibility with other parts a snap, and future repairs are a lot less confusing. For example, now you will have to use the wrong starter for your year/application, and five years from now when it fails, you'll be all like "effing Fords, nobody can figure out what starter I need." Well duh.
right on !

·
Registered
35,245 Posts
So my F150 8.8 with Explorer brakes, C5 trans and 351w in a 67 with 68 mounts is a bad idea?
Probably runs great, but yeah, when it comes to repairs and maintenance, you'll have to have a detailed application list and a lotta patience.

·
Registered
35,245 Posts
I asked a pretty simple question, a pretty simple answer could have been "you would be better off buying a new converter", instead I get a smartass answer from someone who didn't read the question properly.
Let's see, you asked
We have everything to do the swap if its possible, so zero money, or simply buy a new converter for the 164??
and bartl went for choice b) which you offered,
you went for the jugular,
You asked the forum if you should (in your own words):

a)We have everything to do the swap if its possible, so zero money,

b) or simply buy a new converter for the 164??
Somebody goes for b) and you get nasty.

I say again, you have some nerve. Who do you think you are, coming here for free advice and then getting mean when you don't like the answer? Stop trying to justify your poor behavior, and own that you were rude. And you are still trying to justify it-

I asked a pretty simple question, a pretty simple answer could have been "you would be better off buying a new converter", instead I get a smartass answer from someone who didn't read the question properly. And, this is for my son who is in college and doesn't have a lot of money, so if using the 157 tooth flexplate/bell will work (which is what I was asking), then he could save $450.

It appears a lot of people have done this swap, was just looking for advice here. Sorry it developed into this.
I don't think you are sorry. It didn't "develop" into this, you were rude and wrong, and when people sided with bartl, you didn't back down, you dug in and tried to blame it all on him. I deal with this behavior professionally, every day. I come here to get relaxation away from such behavior.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
22gt, sorry dude, but you are 100% wrong....Bartl didn't choose option B, he chose to try to make me look stupid, I stated that I had every part to do the swap OR I could buy a new converter, his response was...

duh, I'm not going to go out and buy all the stuff for the swap, only a dumbass would do that... which he was trying to make me look like....his comment was extremely rude and unneccessary, probably should have just ignored him, but he started this, not me.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Bartl was "snarky" and malarson was "snarky" back. Both parties could have chosen their words better. Humans make mistakes... it's in our nature. This thread is a good lesson for all of us. Hopefully, people will be more mindful moving forward.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
If one asks a question and gets an answer they feel is snarky but not malicious, the correct answer is "Thank you for your response."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts