Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with the $159 dual exhaust kits offered by CJ Pony parts, Mustangs Unlimited etc..?

I discovered last night that the custom duals put on my 66 by the previous owner were not bent correctly on the drivers side near the engine. The pipe from the manifold doesn't line up with the humps in the tranny crossmember and the parking brake cable is resting directly on the pipe(Maybee that explains why the cable broke). In addition the speedometer cable has burned up on the pipe also.

I guess my biggest concern is that by putting on a new exhaust, will my clearance issues with these components be solved.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
21,375 Posts
Nothing personal against CJ but in the past when I bought low price dual exhaust kits for my old Ford vans, they've rusted very quickly. The pipes where made in Mexico and of very poor quality steel. In about a year, they had a serious rust problem. Check to see where they were made, maybe it'll be good.

BTW, the kits I bought were not from CJ, I was just comparing low price vs.quality.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Wow, under $200! I would bet (I do not know nor have I investigated) that the kit uses mild steel. If you need something quick and don't care if it needs replacement in a couple of years then sounds OK. If it is aluminum or stainless steel then it is a great price. Just an FYI, Mac makes a kit from headers to the tail pipes and Flow Master has a tailpipe kit. Not sure of the cost but I think it is much more $. Of course I am using flawed logic that more expensive parts are always better quality.

G

·
I bought the $199 aluminized dual exhaust kit from MU (it was the cheapest one around at the time). My biggest complaint is that the drone is too loud for speeds of 50-65 MPH (289, C4, 2.80 rear). I wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver but for anything else it's fine. It's been 8 months and it still looks new.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I had a set from MU. It has been great. My car is not a daily driver and the exaust is still like brand new. It is about 10 years old. Only some small cuts in the mufflers where I took it apart so I could install the new 2.5" system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts