Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted a thread a couple days ago about some seats and a console that were local to me. That deal didn't pan out, but I stumbled upon a little bit of a treasure trove of original parts, as the seller is converting his '65 coupe to a restomod/custom and pretty much stripping everything original from the car. The car is a nicely optioned C-code with PS and pony interior. The 2 things that I'm definitely picking up today are an original '65 5-gauge cluster (C5ZF-10843) so that I can properly finish off my deluxe interior conversion (SUPER excited about that find) and the HCC-AW 16:1 steering box. Thinking I should grab the PS parts too, for resale purposes.

My car right now has the original 19:1 box (just rebuilt by Chocostang) with the Shelby quick steer kit. I know the 16:1 box is more desirable for better handling response, but does anyone have any feedback as to how difficult the car is to steer in low speed situations with the 16:1 box and the quick steer kit? I'm a big, strong guy (6'2" and 250 lbs), but don't want to make it so tough that it's a pain to drive. Would my wife (about 140 lbs) be able to handle the car in low speeds? 99% of the driving will be 45-70 mph cruising, but there will obviously be parking lots and garages to navigate at low speeds. Front tires are 205/50/17. I know that the response while moving would be improved, for sure. I have no plans to run power steering on the car.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,777 Posts
Like most track cars, I use the 16:1 box with the Shelby Pitman Arm, but I also use a full roller idler arm. No steering hassles at all. You do want to be moving a little prior to steering input.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
66 with a Chocostang 16:1 manual steering here, but no Shelby quick steer, with stock style 205/70/R14. For me, one of the best mods, when you turn left/right, it is turning left/right, right now........I like it a lot better than the 19:1 box. A lot of the slop is gone, still not as good as todays, cars, but much better as I stated. I am a big boy also, 5'11", 270, and have no problem turning it, and really do not feel that it is that much more effort. As for my wife, she didn;t like the car with the 19:1 box.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
It might be interesting to note how the quick steering arms compares to the different boxes. Even added difference? 75-90%?
Too subjective to say really, just no comparison to anything power or modern. Even though I don't find it hard, the amount of rotation even with the low box can catch me off guard at times. 2 hands are needed not for effort just to shuffle hand over hand when its tight quarters..
The skinny tires will help and of course the slightest rolling make it easier. Just consider that skinny teens and women drove these same cars for years.
You could always remove the quick arms for OE type or roller if its too much, sell me the regular quick arms:)

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
^^^ Effort and response should be proportional to the length of the pitman arm. I believe the quick steer pitman arm is about 15% longer than the stock pitman arm.

Remember, steering wheel diameter plays into steering effort as well.

I have a 16:1 box, standard pitman arm and 225 tires. Effort for tight parking maneuvers is stout, but okay. I have not found the need to go to the quick steer pitman & idler arms.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I don't think you will have a problem. All 65-66 GT.350's were that way and many have received wider tires. My current GT350 ( of the last 46 years) has stock width front tires and is "easy" to steer.
Randy

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
The dude in the photo is a Hollywood special effects guy. (Close Encounters of the Third Kind etc.) He may be all
of 5'3" or so and not a lot of weight. We did the suspension & steering on the red car. He drives his '65 on the street
and track with sticky 225x50x16 tires on it, longer pitman/idler arms and 16:1 box. (no power steering)
He does look a little worn out after a session of open track but nothing most folks couldn't handle.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Premium Member
13,180 Posts
"........ I'm a big, strong guy (6'2" and 250 lbs), but don't want to make it so tough that it's a pain to drive. Would my wife (about 140 lbs) be able to handle the car in low speeds?........."
The best frame of reference I can give is that both of my daughters learned to drive , and took their driving tests in a '66 GT-350 (real deal Shelby Mustang). They were 16 years old at the time, and maybe weighed in at 95 lbs. dripping wet. If those scrawny kids could learn to drive with a 16:1 ratio box and the Shelby quick steer kit, I don't know why those components would give anyone else any trouble.

I told them to get the car inching forward (or backward) in order to make the steering easier.
I started to give them more advice, but was cut off with the usual teenage backtalk, "...dad, you talk too much, I'm steering it fine.... ."

She was right on both counts. ;)

Z

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome! I got the box tonight and am looking forward to getting it rebuilt by Chocostang and installed when the car gets back from paint. I was able to get everything in the pics - factory power steering system, 16:1 HCC-AW box, extra column (original white to help my painter match interior color), C5ZF ‘65 deluxe gauge cluster, and a pair of ‘65 V8 spindles - all for $350. I felt that was a good deal and the seller was able to clear out his garage space.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts