Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,143 Posts
I paid 50$ for a 16:1 box from a 68 cougar, chocko rebuilt it for me.

Reactions: 67six

·
Registered
21,332 Posts
That's going to be from a PS car which means it's going to be in excellent condition because the ram is doing all the work, not the box. Basically all the box was doing was operation the hydraulic valve controls.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
that box is for a comet/falcon...slightly longer shaft than mustang. It will physically bolt in, but might be too long for your column/steering wheel? i'm not sure if you can adjust it out to compensate for the extra length. Dan @ chockostang will be the one to tell you for sure. If it is cheap, I would grab it, the guts may work for yours...he will know.

Reactions: rpm and 67six

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's going to be from a PS car which means it's going to be in excellent condition because the ram is doing all the work, not the box. Basically all the box was doing was operation the hydraulic valve controls.
I have PS but it’s 19:1

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that box is for a comet/falcon...slightly longer shaft than mustang. It will physically bolt in, but might be too long for your column/steering wheel? i'm not sure if you can adjust it out to compensate for the extra length. Dan @ chockostang will be the one to tell you for sure. If it is cheap, I would grab it, the guts may work for yours...he will know.
Thanks I’ll ask @chockostang.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just looked at that again. That is for a mustang/Fairlane and it is
just looked that up again. It is 41 7/8 listed for mustang and fair lane. The box I had in my 65 is HCC AT which shaft is 41 7/8 ratio 19:1 and Manual .... which a previous owner installed power steering.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
oops i SPEC'D the HCC-X not the HCC-AX...my mistake...yes get it if the price is right.

Reactions: 67six

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350-Tribute Restomod. 2019 Shelby GT350.
131 Posts
That Stangerssite has good info on steering boxes, but it was pointed out to me by the MustangConcoursForum guys that the chart has an error on the Model "F" HCC-AW and HCC-AX versions. The "P" and "M" designation is reversed on these adjacent lines. They should be:

HCC-AW 16:1 P (Power steering)
HCC-AX 16:1 M (Manual Steering, Handling Package, GT, Shelby)

It's mostly about semantics because the two boxes are actually identical and differ only in their respective preload specification and the ID tag. The difference is important to some of the Concours guys in order to get the right tag on their steering box.

Reactions: CHOCK

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That Stangerssite has good info on steering boxes, but it was pointed out to me by the MustangConcoursForum guys that the chart has an error on the Model "F" HCC-AW and HCC-AX versions. The "P" and "M" designation is reversed on these adjacent lines. They should be:

HCC-AW 16:1 P (Power steering)
HCC-AX 16:1 M (Manual Steering, Handling Package, GT, Shelby)

It's mostly about semantics because the two boxes are actually identical and differ only in their respective preload specification and the ID tag. The difference is important to some of the Concours guys in order to get the right tag on their steering box.
So, if I connect a HCC-AX box to power steering it would be ok, but not correct?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350-Tribute Restomod. 2019 Shelby GT350.
131 Posts
That's my understanding. If you put that box in your car, the Concours Police will be all over you...

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
You get the AX box, I'll trade you a AW tag for AX.
That is basically the difference. AND YES, I will trade you tags.

Dan

·
Registered
930 Posts
I just did the same thing with my 67. Had manual 19:1 originally, bought an SMB-B which is on the list for a replacement part for your HCC-AX. Dan rebuilt it and it works like new.

Just pay attention to your sector shaft size on your existing box. Early 67 will have the same pitman arm as that box, but late (like mine) had the 1-1/8" pitman arm. In that case, replacing the pitman arm for the 1" sector shaft version got my project back on track.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts