Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering if anyone has a preference or knowledge on ride comfort between the 15 and 16 inch wheels. I have 620 springs and am wondering if I have 16" wheels (smaller sidewall) will my car ride so rough that I'll hate it?

Like to hear from you

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I've got 16's on my car (with 620 springs). I don't mind the ride at all, but I like it stiff (OK, all you deviant VMFers - let me have it!). Another VMFer (Shaun) has 15s on his car and I think he wishes that he had 16s for the improvement in handling.

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,342 Posts
16's will open up many more performance tires to you, 15's will give you that classic muscle look if you match them with some raised white letters like BFGoodrich Radial T/A's!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have 15" TTD and will be upgrading to a 17" wheel. I would consider 15" or 17" wheels. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
My chrome ponies are 16's with 225/50 tires and boy what a difference in the way the car rides from the 15's I had on it before. I have the 620 springs and the KYB shocks. The car rides fine. Plus it doesn't wander as much as it did with the 15's. I will eventually go to 17's cuz it's built for speed and not built for comfort.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Personally on the street, I would stay with 15" wheels with 60 series tires. There will be less road imperfections transmitted to you. Additionally, the extra sidewall provides considerablly more protection from bent wheels and suspensions as the sidewalls absorbs part of the stress.

As for the handling difference, hit a bump in the turn and the car will do something funky if your going fast enough to actually use the tire difference in the first place.

Just say no to rice.

Bob.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What is the width and backspacing on the wheels you have? I am trying to make the same decision.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,221 Posts
15s are good for the street, I like the classic musclecar look of more tire and less rim. For track, 16s or 17s would be hard to beat for tire selection and grip. I hope to have both, a set of TTDs or SSs with big 15" rubber for street and a set of 16s for a little future track time....

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well... I vote for 16" wheels. I just got Edelbrock 454's with 235/50R16 tires for my mustang and really like how they feel on the road. But then again, I prefer to have a larger rim with a lower profile tire. They give a more contemporary sports car look and stance to the car.

I like them a lot. Trying to get some updated pictures of my car done with the new sneakers...

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
We had 17's on the coupe (torque thrust 2's polished)
but we put the on the boss my dad recently sold

And I went out and bought a set of 16's

16x8 rear and 16x7 front

tires are 225/50 front 245/50 rear
the side wall is thick enough to absorb most shocks

but stiff enough to please Lancemach!!!!

;-) sorry Lance...had to sneak that one in!!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd like to see your car with the new rims. Send me a picture if you can.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called American Racing and there stock TTII's will fit just fine. I just have to decide which rim size I want. I have lower the car 1" along with the Shelby mod. Looking at 16 or 15 X 7"

G

·
0 Posts
I was asking the same question as you, but I came to the conclusion that I'm building a classic Mustang. They never had 16"'s in the '60's! So I have decided to stay with the 15's" Besides, I'm trying to balance out performance with everyday driveability. I've gone down a little in my cam selection, backed down to 15's, and I'm going to stick with a stock distrubitor with a Pertronics. sometimes we get a little carried away with what we would like vs. what really works and what we need. Myself, I had to take a step back and look at the big picture. Now if I could just figure out what headers to run!

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
15X7's here.... best of both worlds.... Classic look, decent perforance... but tire sizing is somewhat limited

1 - 14 of 14 Posts