Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed wheels and tires to accommodate a brake upgrade. I went with 16 x 8 Vintage 45’s with Dunlop 225/50/16’s up front and 245/50/16’s in the rear.

If I put a straight edge on the outside vertical plane of the tire it intersects the quarter lip about .50” in from the wheel well.

The car had some dings and dents over the outer wheel arches that were filled with body filler. I’m awful nervous to attempt to roll the lip or take a chance on having the tire whack the lip on a bad bump.

I’ve seen post’s here that have pictures of cars with what appears to have the same clearance that I currently have and have no problem.

Do the rear wheels travel in an arc that have them moving in a plane that they could possibly make it by that half of an inch of lip?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would not roll the lip, not unless you were planning on doing body work and painting. If the car is not going to have body work and paint done, then you will more than likely need it after attempting to roll the lip. The lip on the fenders is rather strong and stiff. I have a 69 with 275/50/17 on the back, and I ended up cutting the inside lip off the fender, and then spot welding the edge to keep it together.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless someone is looking for a new set of Dunlop SP8000's 245's I'm thinking of putting a shortened nine inch in to solve the problem. It's just one of those things I really hadn't planned on at this stage of my build up.

Some words of wisdom for those purchasing tires. CHECK THE ACTUAL TREADWIDTH OF THE TIRE YOU"RE CONSIDERING. The dunlop 225/50/16's that I purchased have a treadwidth thats 1.20" wider than the 235/60/15 Firestones they replace.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rare67:

I'll try to borrow a digital camera to get you some pictures.

I just came from a MCA show in Dearborn, MI and saw a number of cars with alot more tire under them than I have and they seem to have no problems. I'd like to let everyone see where these wheel place the tires and see what they think of my situation.

I've currently got the car on jack stand preparing it for a TCP coil-over kit that supposed to arrive Tuesday. If I can, I'll get you pictures of the back tires Monday. If not I'm sure I can get a camera before I'm finished with the coil-over install next week.

I was wondering what you thought of the wheels? I sold a pair of 15x7 American Racing Torque Thrust D's and their quality seemed vastly better than the Vintage 45's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts