Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a set of 17 inch styled steel wheels? How do they look on a 65? Any pics you could post would be great. I plan on getting a set but I really want a better idea of what they will look like.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have the same idea for my 67, but have yet to find anyone who has them on their car. I have many pictures of them, but no test subject. Who are you planning on getting them from? California Pony Cars? or Wheel Vintiques? Just curious, as the wheel vintiques have a more modular cut look to them.

Chris

·
Registered
771 Posts
I've seen them on a black fastback. They were interesting but I thought the proportions didn't look good. The center part looked OK, but the spokes just got a long look to them. I wasn't fond of them. I think I have a pic somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I've seen them at car shows and IMO they look terrible. Like fastback65gt says, the proportions are all wrong. If you have to have 17" wheels, I think there are better options.

MrFreeze

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Kind of like the 17" '66 Shelby 10 spokes. Try finding a photo of them on a car online. I managed to find one photo, and I am glad I did. With the spokes all the way out to the edge of the wheel, it just looks wrong! I wish they had them in 15"

·
Registered
638 Posts
Kinda like these? I didn't find them appealing, but was hopeful that the 17" Styled steel wheels looked a little better with the body lines and tire size.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So no one has a set of 17 inch styled steel wheels? I might just buy a set to be the first one with them. I am just looking for a pic to actually see what they look like on a 65-66 Coupe.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Someone on Mustang Forums or Stangnet got those a little while back. If your into 17s then they look pretty good. I just can't see anything bigger than 16s on our cars. It doesn't look proportional. That said, I'll stick with my 15s.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I plan on getting a set, I am just debating which centercaps to go with on my 67. With the car being Nightmist Blue, the medium blue center cap is a little light, while the black a bit dark. Decisions, decisions......But any pics whatsoever would help cement the choice before dropping $1200-2400 for the wheels.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Call me old school, but I'm with tx65coupe on this one. Anything larger than a 16 inch wheel on a vintage Mustang looks terrible in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Call me old school, but I'm with tx65coupe on this one. Anything larger than a 16 inch wheel on a vintage Mustang looks terrible in my opinion.
Ditto!

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
They were interesting but I thought the proportions didn't look good. The center part looked OK, but the spokes just got a long look to them. I wasn't fond of them.
Ditto.
(Not to mention the fact that the last I heard, they were something like $350 each, without caps or lugs, IIRC!)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Actually they sell sets of them on ebay for $950 plus $150 shipped and include centercaps & lugs. Not great but not a huge hit either. The wheel vintiques are even worse at $600 each, so $2400 for the set. Too steep for my tastes but I am keeping my options open for wheels up until I have to get them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I actually like how they look on the red coupe. I think the tires are the wrong size. Anyone else with some pics of 17 inch styled steel wheels? I want to see them on a car that does not have the crazy looking side skirting.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sorry they look make the car look like a hot wheel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts