Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 17" tires on modern wheels for my 1969 Mustang Coupe. Do you think it would look good if i paint numbers/letters with white color?

I love the look of white letter tires but i'm not sure how it would look on modern 17" wheel.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Can you post up pix of the car and the wheels?

(our opinion doesn't matter - what do YOU like?)

For me:
I can tell you from experience - painting the letters on yourself doesn't turn out well and doesn't last.

So buy tires with white letters... BF Goodrich Radial TAs?
Then have the tire shop mount one wheel with letter side out and the other black side out and hold them up to the car to decide...

Or, mount them letter side out - you can always go back to black side out if you later change your mind (~$12 a wheel at my shop to swap...).

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
I think it would be an exhibit of foolish juvenility, would not look good, and be a pain maintenance-wise to keep touching up. Now that's just my opinion, and you should do whatever you want with your car and not care what other people think, including me. :wink:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Your car looks excellent just the way it is! I painted my tire letters ( white letters on modern wheels ) and although it looked good, it was not worth the time in touching up the lettering constantly. I used "Tire Penz" to do the lettering but the white turned to beige every time I drove the car even though I had cleaned the rubber very well. Just my three cents ( inflation).

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Me? I agree - leave it alone - it looks great as-is!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yes leave it alone, it looks great as it is!

If you want white letters then get rid of the modern wheels and put some Magnum 500's on.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I'm note a big fan of facades or modifications to make something look like it isn't. So, I personally don't like the idea or painting the letters to make it look like you have raised white letters. Either buy them like that or just don't do it. Besides, your car looks good the way it is.

I'm not a fan of this on classic cars. Some the new cars can pull it off, but not all of them.

Here's a Corvette with 18" raised white letters...I don't like it.

Here's a Chevelle with some big wheels too. Gotta be at least 18" or more...again, I'm not a fan.

This definitely fits the bill...

·
Registered
467 Posts
I think lettering would take away from the look of the car. It looks good the way it is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts