Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a 64 1/2 coupe with a 170 six & C3 auto trans that's going out.What other trans will fit that would be a bolt in with out any mods?What other years of fords will fit?I guess maybe C4 off of 200 six maybe?Sorry guys I don't know mush about fords but I think I'm going to get some great help from what I see here!Thanks in advance & also I know he would LOVE! to do a STICK SHIFT conversion but I guess there's no way to do that reasonable? LOL! :confused:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
it would be pretty easy to put a 3 speed in there, but the installation and finding of the pedals might be a little tricky. i would go with a c4. i am pretty sure that the c4 that is on the 200 is the same size for the 170. if he needs another c3 i have one sitting in the garage that he can have really cheap.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I thought they used a C4 behind both the 170 and the 200? AFAIK the C3 was only used in 4cyl Pintos and such applications and was a much later C4 derivative? Why not just rebuild the existing C4? A professional C4 rebuild should only be about $600 at most.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My freind said it was a C3 Is it maybe a C4? He needs his car everyday as a driver so he needs to get it fixed as cheap & quick as possiable!Sucks cause he really wants a stick in there LOL

G

·
It is most likely a c4...I would rebuild it vs. going with a stick. The stick conversion is expensive and with a six I really dont see the point of installing a manual three speed.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,701 Posts
You can use a C4 from behind a small straight six Mustang engine from 1965 to 1969. With some adapting you can make one work from a 200 six cylinder car all the way up until 1981.
C3's didn't start production until 1974. In any case they were only used behind 4 cylinder engines.
Post a "wanted" ad. Many folks have upgraded to a V8 engine and trans and might have a six cylinder C4 laying around that they'd about give away. I do, but wouldn't care to ship it. Note that I have my general location listed in my profile.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
You also need to keep in mind that the bolt
pattern for the 6 cyl changed around 1965,
the 170 may have the smaller pattern and the newer
C-4 may not bolt up.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,701 Posts
The V8's changed from 5 bolts to 6 bolts, making their bellhousings non-interchangable in/about 1965. I double checked and the Hollander Interchange says the I-6 transmissions swap as far as my info goes back, 1965. They also say the bellhousing swaps from '65 up into the '70's. 1964 and earlier I frankly do not know about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow..Thanks guys for all the info! 65fastback6 I think you are correct as I was told by a local mustang restore shop that it's the smaller pattern trans..You guys know these cars..man..!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts