Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '65 Mustang 6 cylinder automatic and I need a new head.(exhaust bolt hole ends broken) Would a 170 CI head fit and if so, what performance changes should I expect. Are there any differences in these heads from early 60's through the 70's? Thanks for any in put you can provide.
Steve

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
You don’t want a 170 head. If you want an upgrade, look to get a later “Large Log” head. It breaths better. Also consider having it milled down to compensate for the thicker head gaskets currenty in use.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
ok, from the little 144 through to the 250, all the small six heads interchange. in fact we can go further and add that the aussie 250 2v head bolts on to the US block, as does the argentine head. with some modification the aussie crossflow head also bolts onto the US block.

the 170 ad the early 200 head are basically the same, including valve size, log size, etc. i do agree with flade though that searching up a later 200/250 head is the hot ticket with its larger log and better airflow.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
If you happen to be in the Dallas area, I have the head I took off my 200 a couple years ago when I went to my 3x1 offy setup (it's just sitting in the garage, so I'm happy to give it to someone who can use it). Car was running great with that head, so I imagine it is in good condition. Just send me a PM if you're nearby and/or are interested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for the information. I will keep it in mind. Varilux thanks for the offer but I'm up in Connecticut. I was in Texas earlier this summer.
Steve

·
Registered
109 Posts
Read "Ford Falcon Six Cylinder" It's available at "Vintage Inlines"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts