Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Im going to be getting a set of 17x8 Edelbrock 454 wheels. Suppoedly they have a 4.250 backspacing is this an ok size/backspacing? I was wondering what size tires I should use on the front and back of my 67 FB?

Thanks,
Mathew

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hello!!! You should try to use the Wheel/Tire chart that Jay has put together for Mustangs. It lists the wheel and corresponding tire sizes that will work on classic Stangs. It also figures in backspacing and compatibility of the wheel/tire (if the combination will rub or not). So, if in doubt, check it out!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flyin,
I already checked it. It doesnt list the edelbrock wheel/backspacing im looking for. Thanks though.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I think what flyin was getting at is the chart lists generally accepted backspaces regardless of who manufactured the wheel. To summarize 4.5 inches is the generally accepted backspace for a 17x8 inch wheel. That is what I have on my 68 and they fit fine.

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
That's a better explanation. I will add this though ... even though I have seen photos of Mustangs with the Edelbrock wheels (though only '69+ cars) I will tell you that 4.25 backspacing is likely not enough on an 8" wide wheel unless you are very conservative with the width of the tire. I just ordered 17x7 wheels for the front of my '67 and I am getting 4.25" backspacing. I already have my fenders rolled, installed all TCP front suspension with the shelby drop etc.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the shelby drop allow you to run larger tires? Also where can I find info on rolling the fender? Thanks!

Mathew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts