Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried fitting 17x10 wheels (rear) on a 64-66 Mustang?......
or how about 275/40/17's?
ofcourse all this with out mods to the rear end....

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
17x10 is really too wide to due without them sticking out.

17x8 is a good fit.
I know you can put 265 40 17 on as the max since Merk from CA has a pair. He runs a 17x8 4.75 BS and need a small spacer behind the wheel to acheive that 'perfect fit'....he also rolled rear fenders and rear drums.

I run a 255 40 17 on 17x8 4.75 with rear discs and rolled fenders.

Plenty more combos on the wheel chart in the sig.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good....
by the way Sweeeeeet car!!!
I tried that site but couldnt see the specs....only able to see your build up...any insights?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Normally I stay away from the "will this wheel/tire fit" questions, because there's always a way to make them fit, just depends on what lengths people are willing to go to.

I will say, though, that to get a 10" wide wheel in there, you will need a custom back spacing, and even then it will be tight.

I originally tried to get 15x10's in the back of my '69 (2" wider than a '65/66). Even with 4.5" of backspacing, they stuck out over and inch from the sides of the car. They WOULD have fit if I ordered them with the custom back spacing but I got chicken. The reason ... if you order standard wheels that don't fit and don't mount tires, they'll take them back. If you order with a custom back spacing, you own them, and they won't take them back. I settled for 15x8 rims with 275/50's in back. I would still have liked to have a little more meat back there, but I can live with the 275's.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts