Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
In my experience, the 225 front tire is a safe size to use up front. I run a pretty low stance and have no rubbing issues.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I run a 245 on a 17x8 wheel up front. Had to clearance the UCA a tad, roll the fenders and run a little camber. I'm lowered as well, no issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, i am about to buy some 17" wheels to be able to put some good sticky rubbers on my '66 coupe.

I know this has been already discussed but whats the conclusion with 17x8 wheels in front of a 65-66?

My plan is to go with a square setup of 235-45-17 tires, wheels would be torq thrust M 17x8 with 4.5 backspace.

Can i expect that to fit if i only roll the fenders?

I am slowly building my car so i could do some non competitive hpde events next season and the big sidewall rubbers on the 15" wheels just wont do it.

Thanks!

exact set up you mention. I rolled the front fenders. Shelby drop and 1” lowering springs. 4.5BS no rubbing but probably with a crazy bumpwhile turning. Normal driving no

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Good feddback thanks!

I did not do the shelby drop yet on mine, Charles Maier suggested me that it would not be needed with 17-18" wheel setups and up.

Ill see how it goes and may reconsider it later....

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
439 Posts
Good feddback thanks!

I did not do the shelby drop yet on mine, Charles Maier suggested me that it would not be needed with 17-18" wheel setups and up.

Ill see how it goes and may reconsider it later....
The Arning drop is to improve handling(which is what youre after I believe) not to help wheel fitment.

Chris

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I know that, but Charles Maier seems to think that theres not much to gain by doing it with some 17-18" wheels and up with good sticky tires.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
I know that, but Charles Maier seems to think that theres not much to gain by doing it with some 17-18" wheels and up with good sticky tires.
sticky tires and 17"-18" ect wheels won't help the camber curve whereas the UCA drop will and then the wheel/tire combo can take better advantage

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The Shelby drop is a whole other animal and has nothing to do with tires/wheels. This is something that all Mustangs should have been done from the factory. This small change makes a huge difference in handling. I highly recommend doing this no matter what you decide to do with the wheels.

Here is a nice article that explains the Shelby drop: Arning Drop

-Shannon

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
which wheels? those are nice. I think the grey would compliment my colors. currently on 15" cragars.
Thank you! They are American Racing VN-427. You have to custom order these as the backspacing that retailers sell are not correct for our cars.

Chris

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
ok. I'll look into those AR ones but it appears the drake ones I posted above are the correct backspacing as well and 1/2 the price. not always happy with drake quality but have a buddy with another set if his wheels and they seem to be reasonable quality.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Your car looks great. Are the fenders rolled (front and/or rear)?
Thanks!! I rolled the front out of precaution, not necessity. I did not touch the rears.

Chris

Reactions: gt66a
41 - 56 of 56 Posts