Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at upgrading to 18x11 wheels and 315/30-18 tires. The exact sizes are negotiable, but I'm wanting to be at or very close to those sizes. If I utilize the stock wheel hub placement (not looking into arm extensions or a wider rear end), what offset or backspacing is needed for these wheels? If I go with 0 offset, it looks like I'll have about 6" of backspacing, is that too much? Will that rub? Or do I need to look into negative offset wheels to get that backspacing number lower?

·
Premium Member
12,012 Posts
Do you plan to put these wheels on a Vintage Mustang? I don't see that happening.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, on a '65 coupe. I am planning on modifying the fenders and lowering the car too. I am moving away from the stock look as I modify the car.
What am I missing that makes this happen?
Is 11" just too wide without major suspension modifications?
What is the back spacing on the stock 15x7 wheels?

·
Registered
883 Posts
If you're just doing fender work, then 4.75" BS is the max you can really go with to fit those wheels. But you'll need 3.5" flares at a minimum to make it work.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I am looking at upgrading to 18x11 wheels and 315/30-18 tires. The exact sizes are negotiable, but I'm wanting to be at or very close to those sizes. If I utilize the stock wheel hub placement (not looking into arm extensions or a wider rear end), what offset or backspacing is needed for these wheels? If I go with 0 offset, it looks like I'll have about 6" of backspacing, is that too much? Will that rub? Or do I need to look into negative offset wheels to get that backspacing number lower?
EDIT: just saw you post about your year...

Check out mike maier inc. His track car ol’ blue has 305’s on all corners, if I remember correctly. That’s who I would look for with advice on big tires for the 65 chassis.

Definitely will take some fab work

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Dimples
4,823 Posts
If you're just doing fender work, then 4.75" BS is the max you can really go with to fit those wheels. But you'll need 3.5" flares at a minimum to make it work.
This is a good start as far as inside clearance, but beyond that, you've got some fender/quarter panel hacking to do, as well as some sort of flare solution. I doubt you're going to find anyone here that's going to have personal experience with how to fit the dimensions you're looking for. This one falls in the category of so custom, you're going to have to figure it out for yourself.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EDIT: just saw you post about your year...

Check out mike maier inc. His track car ol’ blue has 305’s on all corners, if I remember correctly. That’s who I would look for with advice on big tires for the 65 chassis.

Definitely will take some fab work

Sent from the interwebs... where else?
Mike's car is the inspiration, but I don't have the funds to go full tilt and build a replica of his car. I know Mike has done a lot of custom work on his car and he specializes in suspension, but I'm not finding any info on the black magic he used to make his wheels fit (18x11 and 315/30).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a good start as far as inside clearance, but beyond that, you've got some fender/quarter panel hacking to do, as well as some sort of flare solution. I doubt you're going to find anyone here that's going to have personal experience with how to fit the dimensions you're looking for. This one falls in the category of so custom, you're going to have to figure it out for yourself.
I plan to do fender work to make the final product fit, but I was fishing to see if anyone here has any experience with these sizes.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Surprisingly, it isn’t that far off. Maker Racing’s Roman Kit has the flares and there’s plenty of pics online with the flare/wheel combo. I love the wide body look and plan on doing it myself.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While I've got those of you here that are familiar with Mike's Mustang, what size fender flares is he using? Looks like larger in the rear than the front.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ole Blue had the 1.5” I think (they’re available online). But now it’s all custom made.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Not a 65, but for reference I am running 18x10 with 5.5 inch backspacing on my 70 Mach 1. The axle hub to hub width is a bit narrower than stock at 57 3/4 inches. I am running at Total Control Products 4-link with coil overs, so the leaf springs are gone. I currently have 285/35-18 NT05 tires, but looks like I can go to a 295 and that is it. No mods to wheel well beyond pounding the pinch weld seam out of the way in places and rolling the fender lip. With mini-tubs, maybe a bit wider, but not much.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Don’t use Mike Maier’s Old blue with the small flares as an example. The front spindle was chopped down to allow more wheel hanging inside. Mike has said that ultimately it was a failed experiment. You will need big wide flares to do 305s on a 65/65.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I may have posted my questions hastily. After digging a little more and reading through everyone's comments, I may have been over zealous with that massive wheel and section width. I also don't have 750HP to turn those big wheels anyways. :)
I am pulling back to a more realistic 17x9 with something in the mid 200s for width. I'll keep an eye out for a maximum backspacing of 4.75" and I'll be careful not to go too far in the other direction with back spacing as I don't want to mess with the dynamics of Scrub Radius and the like. I do plan to add flares so I want something wider than normal, but I'll need to keep all that in check.

·
Premium Member
10,934 Posts
make sure the rim clears the uca lock to lock at full droop. If you can get a 2 piece 18" rim thats not been welded together so you can play with the back spacing. I was lucky enough to have Phil Smith do that with 17" when he owned PS wheels back in the 90's. I trailered my 65 down to his shop. I have my own custom uca's and 17's so my measurements would not work for you. You should be able to get a tad more back space with 18's.

·
Premium Member
10,934 Posts
I may have posted my questions hastily. After digging a little more and reading through everyone's comments, I may have been over zealous with that massive wheel and section width. I also don't have 750HP to turn those big wheels anyways. :)
I am pulling back to a more realistic 17x9 with something in the mid 200s for width. I'll keep an eye out for a maximum backspacing of 4.75" and I'll be careful not to go too far in the other direction with back spacing as I don't want to mess with the dynamics of Scrub Radius and the like. I do plan to add flares so I want something wider than normal, but I'll need to keep all that in check.
forget scrub radius. you will always corner faster withe wider tires. You will also go faster with less less scrub radius but as I posted the wider the front and rears tires the faster the corners.

·
Dimples
4,823 Posts
The new plan sounds better to me.

What kind of flares are you thinking? Most lean toward moulded-in body color flares. If/when I have one with flares, I intend to go with the bolt on style. I just think it looks meaner.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The new plan sounds better to me.

What kind of flares are you thinking? Most lean toward moulded-in body color flares. If/when I have one with flares, I intend to go with the bolt on style. I just think it looks meaner.
Do you have any links to reputable places that sell flares? I am not finding a good looking bolt-on style, but I'd be interested in taking a look.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts