Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Google “clinched flares”
They sell a wide range of bolt on flares that you will have to trim to fit...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have not heard of that word "clinched", but that is definitely going in the vocab list. :)
I have been eye'balling that Maier racing site, quite a few parts I'd like to add to the car are from there.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
The pics you linked are of Mike Maier's Mustang, there's a small hint of the NASCAR V8 through the hood scoops.
I believe he modeled his after Maier's car. I will see if I can find current pictures.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I believe he modeled his after Maier's car. I will see if I can find current pictures.
Here you go....Google is wonderful tool
He is currently channeling Ken Block

·
Registered
883 Posts
Does anyone know any more about this car? Specs?
Not sure about that one, but google 65 66 Mustang wideboy or 65 66 Mustang fender flares and you'll see a lot of results. Like I said, it looks like it has Maier Racing's Roman kit.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Here you go....Google is wonderful tool
He is currently channeling Ken Block
Nice find. He did a pretty decent job replicating those popular cars. It's nice to know that a normal dude can build these cars that look like the "Pros" without needing a $1M shop.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is my unicorn as far as performance and look (including the flares)...Mike Maier's Ol Blue

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
This is my unicorn as far as performance and look (including the flares)...Mike Maier's Ol Blue
View attachment 764356
I wish there was more info about the fenders on this car. Replicas don't have the flares as high up the fender and quarter panels like Mike's car. Also, Mike's flares are aluminum shapes, all I seem to find are either fiberglass units or generic flares that don't really identify the distance they stick out. That Magnus guy in an earlier post said he uses massive wheel spacers to get the clearance (which helps me a little), but I wish I had more info.

·
Premium Member
12,012 Posts
Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can just glue or screw the flare onto the fender and you're good to go. You have to cut away the original fender or quarter panel lip or the tires still won't fit.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You are correct, and I had no delusion that it's that easy. However, my questions is more on the details of how much was removed, what are some of the dimensions, and where can I source the same stuff. I'd rather use metal flares, but it seems the stuff I can find is super generic.

·
Dimples
4,823 Posts
However, my questions is more on the details of how much was removed, what are some of the dimensions, and where can I source the same stuff. I'd rather use metal flares, but it seems the stuff I can find is super generic.
That’s why I said this in my first post:

I doubt you're going to find anyone here that's going to have personal experience with how to fit the dimensions you're looking for. This one falls in the category of so custom, you're going to have to figure it out for yourself.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts