Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad news.
Sent my tired 16:1 box that was originally on my 66 car to Chocostang to get it rebuilt. He says it's beyond rebuild and would need an extensive amount of work. He doesn't have another 16:1 box around, but he does have Ford OEM 5 turn 19:1 boxes that he could send me rebuilt along with my old old/tired 16:1 box.

Before I pull the trigger, am I going to hate that ratio? I do have roller idler arm, and 215/45R17 front tires. It's going to be a driver with a 331 and 4r70w. Not doing any track racing, mostly cruising to and from work.
I feel bummed, should I?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your going to hate it, At least I did. I still have the Slow:1 box but I installed a Shelby Quick steer kit to make up the difference and now it's pretty good
I already dropped the coin on the roller idler arm to replace the original on the 66 mustang. This blows.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,401 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buy a new flaming river box.

I'm guessing you agree that I'll hate the 19:1.
Ohhhhh, the car hobby strikes again! LOL

·
Spammer Hammer
9,401 Posts
I mean if your used to slow steering or aren’t looking for a desired output for a minimal input, hate my be a strong word. However, if you have driven the car with a properly adjusted 16:1 box then hate might be the appropriate word.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mean if your used to slow steering or aren’t looking for a desired output for a minimal input, hate my be a strong word. However, if you have driven the car with a properly adjusted 16:1 box then hate might be the appropriate word.
I drove it to the body shop and back. That was it. So, I have nothing to compare it to. But, I'm not wanting to build a boat here.
I can go FR box for about $600 or a 19:1 box for $300.

I just dont want to spend the money on the 19:1 box and then spend the money on a quick steer to get it closer. I'll be doing more highway driving than parking lot shenanigans.

·
Premium Member
10,962 Posts
Wait until you can find a 16:1 box or buy the Flaming River. You'll be disappointed with a 19:1 box.
FWIW: A short shaft 16:1 box from a late '67-'70 will physically bolt into your '66 but you'll need to do some other mods to make it work. That would be a good time to swap your steering column for an '87-'91 F series tilt wheel column. I posted a thread on how to do that in the past.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Or get a rebuild-able 16:1 box from a good donor car. I got a box labled as a "core, for parts" off ebay for 50 bucks, it was super tight and cleaned up, I bolted it in and WOW. That was years ago. The ones from power steering cars tend to be in better shape.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Or get a rebuild-able 16:1 box from a good donor car. I got a box labled as a "core, for parts" off ebay for 50 bucks, it was super tight and cleaned up, I bolted it in and WOW. That was years ago. The ones from power steering cars tend to be in better shape.
Is the power steering box and the manual box the same thing? Is it just plugged off on the power steering?

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
Is the power steering box and the manual box the same thing? Is it just plugged off on the power steering?
IIRC the power steering cars were 16:1 vs the 19:1 in manual steering cars. But I don't believe all the manual cars had the 19:1 box, some had the 16:1 box. @CHOCK could verify any questions you might have. Have you called west coast cougar? I know they do 67 and up stuff, but they do have rebuilt ford boxes for the short shaft if youre willing to convert. Great time to swap in an eps unit as well.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
^^^ right. I have one manual car that came with slow but easy 19:1, swapped to a externally identical 16:1 power box (there are no lines to hook up to the box - all the hoses are pump to cylinder and back), and another car with factory power steering still installed. So, both cars are @ 4 turns lock-to-lock.

·
Premium Member
10,962 Posts
The power steering cars and the GT manual steering cars came with the 16:1 boxes. They have different ID letters on the tag but the only difference between them is the bearing preload value.
As stated, there is nothing in the steering box that is related to power steering fluid until 1971.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Weird. Didn't know that you could interchange the manual and power steering boxes.
I guess at this juncture it's just time to bite the bullet and pickup the Flaming River box.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I added the Shelby quick steer kit to my 19:1 manual steering. It made a huge difference. It might be a cheaper option for you, and you get to stick with an OEM box. I’m upgrading to a 16:1 box because I stumbled into one, but my 19:1 with the kit was fine for highway driving.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
You might actually be disappointed with the 16:1 compared to modern stuff. If you're willing to get the roller arms you might get even more upgrades while at it. Like a rag joint, collapsible shaft and an even closer ratio if one is out there.

·
Super Moderator
9,379 Posts
Wait until you can find a 16:1 box or buy the Flaming River. You'll be disappointed with a 19:1 box.
FWIW: A short shaft 16:1 box from a late '67-'70 will physically bolt into your '66 but you'll need to do some other mods to make it work. That would be a good time to swap your steering column for an '87-'91 F series tilt wheel column. I posted a thread on how to do that in the past.
Link?

I’d like to read.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I added the Shelby quick steer kit to my 19:1 manual steering. It made a huge difference. It might be a cheaper option for you, and you get to stick with an OEM box. I’m upgrading to a 16:1 box because I stumbled into one, but my 19:1 with the kit was fine for highway driving.
Itll work out to be the same price roughly between the flaming river and the quick steer and a rebuilt 19:1.
I just picked up a 16:1 from a local mustang salvage shop and sent it to Chock. They are out there.
But, do I really want to go digging? Or do I want to move forward? LOL, sounds like you agree that 16:1 is a better route over 19:1.
Chock said they're getting harder to find.
Link?

I’d like to read.
Agreed, I tried searching but got sidetracked.

·
Registered
8,870 Posts
Flaming River..... I wouldn't use their stuff for a paperweight. With internal pieces made in Argentina, the casing and forging capital of the world,
there's just no way. I can't remember the Rockwell numbers on the 40's Ford sector/worms that are manufactured there, but they were not good.
(somewhere around a hardness 8 points lower than factory on the Rockwell scale)

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

1 - 20 of 57 Posts