Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just began to test my all new wiring in my 64vert project. Connected the battery and interior lights were on. Quickly realized that the passenger door switch wasn’t being completely pushed in. I then found that in the 64s there was a pad attached to the door before the jamb was Redesigned in the later models Pics below. Does anyone know if i can get this pad anywhere or specs so i can make one and match it? Pics are from virginia mustangs blog.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
At first look, the pad looks like the pad on the front seats of a 65. It's the pad that the seat back adjusting bolt rests on so it doesn't tear into the seat bottom. I wonder if it would be thick enough and the right size to do what you're looking for.

·
Registered
954 Posts
You can test for proper thickness by taping a piece of cardboard to the door in that area to see if it's too thin/thick. If it' too thick use cereal box card board and built up to the correct thickness. Does your door have the holes to attach this type of pad? If they're not there, then it may not be a factory installed part. I'll see if I can pull up a picture/parts diagram.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx guys, great call on the seat pad.

the door is actually a new from dynacorn.

I saw this image i attached on a few sites.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Just began to test my all new wiring in my 64vert project. Connected the battery and interior lights were on. Quickly realized that the passenger door switch wasn’t being completely pushed in. I then found that in the 64s there was a pad attached to the door before the jamb was Redesigned in the later models Pics below. Does anyone know if i can get this pad anywhere or specs so i can make one and match it? Pics are from virginia mustangs blog.

View attachment 738851 View attachment 738852 View attachment 738853
So, why not contact VCM? I have a May built '64 (AKA 64.5) Mine looks like your center pic.
BTW, it would be very helpful to add a location and a little bit of info. in your signature. Who owns, one of us could live in your hood......

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
I have a March '64 build, and I don't recall seeing that pad thingy on my doors.
I just looked through my pre-restoration pics and mine has the pads on the doors. They were painted over in some previous re-paint prior to my ownership in '84. I have no reason to believe they aren't OEM. During my resto, I uncovered two previous paint colors on top of my OEM Poppy Red.My restoration was a complete bare metal restore with the exception of a small area in the rear interior that a factory worker missed when shooting the finish color.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
The switches in the above photos are incorrect. The OEM "64" switch had a steel retaining collar, not the nylon shown. Might be significant.
Early switches had a more rounded tip than this, but otherwise correct. For 65-67, it's spot on.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts

1. My july built car has the raised area like the last pic and no pads. Interesting. More 64 1/2 head scratchers. Hmm
    Replacement door, perhaps?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Interesting my driver door had a pad like that and I assumed it was a repair done by a PO! The same door doesn't have the bracket that holds the big rubber travel limiter and a few other differences how the window crank assembly mounts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
once again, thx all. Kenash, definitely need to get my info updated and a pic! thx again everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts