Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
My Wife and I were at a car show/cruise in today in Vernonia. We had her mustang there and had no problems driving it to the show (roughly 50 miles)... On the way home we got caught in the crush in downtown Vernonia and were stuck in stop and go traffic for about ten to fifteen minutes. The car has a small radiator leak which we are about to get fixed, and was running a bit hot (but no where near the worrisome portion of the temperature gauge).

By the time we had got most of the way home we hadn't had any problems. Unfortunately we then started having some issues with the brakes. When my wife pressed the brakes the first time the pedal went straight to the floor... No braking. When she raised her foot and pressed again they worked. This happened repeatedly for the rest of the journey home.

So... Given that this came on suddenly, and that there don't appear to be any major leaks (I'll check again tomorrow in full daylight...) What is going on?

I've found two possible causes online, and I suspect that the second one is what is happening...

1) The brake fluid is getting very hot and boiling thus becoming brake gas which can be compressed. I don't think that this is the case as it was only in the 80's today, and the engine is hot but not THAT hot.

2) The seals inside the master cylinder are giving out and can't hold pressure. I suspect that this is what is happening, but I only have suspicions...

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what could be the problem?

Thanks,
Z.

·
Registered
422 Posts
:eek:Johnpro has it right, swap that MC out quick, sounds most likely like the fluid is getting by the seals in that M/C. If you still have the single resivoir m/c, now would be a good time to upgrade to the dual. :: James.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Look up under the pedal assembly to see if fluid is coming out of the rear of the MC . It will leak down the floorboard if it is . The wheel cylinders can leak also and be hard to tell that they are leaking . Look for moisture on the backs of the brake drums and rims/tires .

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I second replacing the MC. The next stage after pumping the brakes is the brakes will fail completely. My dad was babying our '65 Ford Ranch Wagon's Brakes (pumping them to stop) until one day they went completely and he had to stop the car by ramming the garage door -the one my '65 FB was behind. It only bent in the bumper since he wasn't driving that fast going into the driveway but if that happened in traffic...

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
175 Posts
The reason you don't see a leak is because the master cylinder is bypassing internally, back into the resevoir. Like everyone else has stated, don't drive it until it's replaced. Does your emegency brake work? If you stay with the single MC, then make sure the emergency brake works and use it often when parked to avoid it locking up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts